Winsonar 2004 XP - Running process monitor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by muf, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

Winsonar has been updated to Build 4.01.04
    http://digilander.libero.it/zancart/winsonar/odyframe.htm

It runs on Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP.
    I have been using it for about 3 months on windows ME without any problems. If you have never used or heard of this free program then here is a description from the authors website.

Winsonar 2004 XP Freeware Edition is a program specifically designed for process monitoring and system protection from unknown processes: the program detectes new processes permanently installed into memory while system is working off-line, offering also an active Internet protection, by optional automatic termination of any unknown process trying to load itself into memory when the system is on line.
    The basic idea is that if the user could know a new program silently installed into memory when off-line, he could take appropriate countermeasures. Unfortunately this does not offer any protection against downloading a malware when the system is on-line.
    For this reason the program detects the on-line status, asking then the user if an automatic termination of any unknown processes is desired (this option can be also enabled by default).
    This leads to an active protection against trojan\spyware-infected e-mail attachments: even if the user unfortunately opens the attachment, the malicious executable process will be suddenly terminated, without having the time to perform any action.

The program has been updated to the version 4.01.04, released on March 26th, 2004. New features of this version:

* When run under Windows XP, the program displays the amount of memory requested by a process:
    double clicking the item in the running processes list, a detailed memory analysis will be displayed. This can be useful to detect memory leaks, memory-eating applications or o to suspect stealth injections of hostile code into the process memory working area by malicious programs.
    * Minor bugs fixed.

This program has been tested and works under Windows 98\Me, 2000\XP.

2. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

Looks interesting, but in offline mode, it seems to detect new processes starting somewhat slowly when i was testing it. SSM seems faster.

3. muf

muf Registered Member

Did you have it set on fast scan which scans every 5 seconds? You can set fast scan to default by clicking on Advanced options\Scanning mode\Startup options\Fast scan.

I tried SSM but found it was asking me permission's way too many times. Even when i set it as always allow i still kept getting prompt's. I find Winsonar is less obtrusive.

muf

4. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

Yes. I find SSM more powerful because it can control what processes can be opened by what processes.

Eg I, only want my browser to be opened by my email client and newsreader, nothing else should be able to turn it on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.