WINS server - Windows 7 Explorer Slow - Static DHCP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by optigrab, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Having trouble with some terminology.

My old machine (XP Pro) works very well with my ReadyNAS; I can browse shares/folders across the network quickly. For example, my media player can quickly build a library from the shared folder of music files. Not so with my new Windows 7 Pro machine. Accessing (exploring) a share / folder on my ReadyNAS takes an unreasonable amount of time (green progress bar).

Thought it was Microsoft Security Essentials, so I excluded explorer.exe from MSE scanning. No change.

Then I ran across this: "Using the ReadyNAS as a WINS Server"
    http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=217

I'm willing to give this a try, however my router (Linksys with Thibor firmware) is already set with Static DHCP addresses for all devices on my network. Before I go messing with the IP lookup behavior of my new machine as prescribed in the above article, I was hoping a networking guru here could alert me if this is a possible fix or likely a mistake.

Question: is setting my ReadyNAS to act as a WINS server in conflict with the Static DHCP settings on my router?

As an aside, when I set up the new Win7 machine, the initial setup created a "Homegroup" and when it finished, it could access my ReadyNAS and detect the other windows machine (and vice versa). It didn't ask (as far as I recall) for the password to join the Windows "workgroup" I had previously created my network, yet it now reports belonging to that "workgroup". What bothers me is the apparent overlap or the old "workgroup" I set up previously and the "homegroup" set up by my new Win7 machine. Are they synonymous? If so, why has Microsoft changed the terminology? If they are not synonymous, do I manage both? Is this related to my network/explorer issue above?

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.