Winpooch as outbound application firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by soccerfan, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Winpooch is popular as a HIPS with several Wilders members such as Kees1958.
    Winpooch can also be configured to run as a firewall as per the instructions here.

http://www.msfn.org/board/Winpooch-Free-and-OpenSource-Firewall-Guide-t68523.html

It can be configured to allow only selected programs to connect out.
    Other firewalls have potential problems during install/uninstall/configuration.
    Winpooch seems to be a simpler alternative, is open source and no installation is required
    I would like to know if Winpooch can form a useful outbound application firewall?
    I wonder if Stem could take it for a test drive.;)

soccerfan

2. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

IMO, no
    Winpooch cannot block information leak, because of it does not has strong application defense feature

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Soccerfan,

WinPooch has some basic application firewall capabilities. It doesnotcheck against process or memory changes. Therefore it would fail a lot of leaktest.

I think the real charm of WinPooch is that offers same functionality of regdefend and also offers file protection.

regards

4. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

I am behind a router and windows xp (inbound) firwall and thought that winpooch would offer decent outbound protection without having to install a full-blown software firewall (like OA or comodo for example). Thanks for any comments.

soccerfan

5. Matern

Matern Registered Member

You can use Threatfire with Custom Rules (easy to create), or you can use DSA-simple and effective Firewall.
    Both are IMO better than Winpooch.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I suppose it just depends on how comprehensive you want the outbound protection to be.. Winpooch sounds fairly simple. Some of the HIPS programs probably offer better over all protection with outbound also. Then you can go all the way and get crazy with Comodo if you want....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.