WinPE 3 and USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by nickscott, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Went the same route too.

2. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

★ª"˜¨¨★ª"˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜ª¤.¸`*•.¸*•¸★☆ SUCCESS ☆★¸•*¸.•*´¸.¤ª˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜"ª★¨¨˜"ª★
    I used another approach this time; I copied \Paragon Software\ and \Runner\ from Paragon's Boot.wim to c:\winpe_x86\mount\Programs along with Total Commander and Irfan View. I copied the three drivers mentioned by SIW2 to \mount\Windows\System32\. I created Startnet.cmd with %systemdrive%\programs\Runner\silent.exe (Paragon's hardware configuration) and then a simple DIR \Programs.

* Localized keyboard, perfect!
    * My 3 TB USB 3.0 drive (with PCIe card controller) is recognized!
    * All programs, including Paragon B&R 11, run perfectly!

Thanks for the inspiration! I still have some working brain cells. :)

3. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Glad that you got it working for you. Yes, SIW2 is the WinPE Guru!

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Great - well done.

Fun isn't it - you get a sense of achievement making it yourself :D

5. brutisb

brutisb Registered Member

Latest update from Paragon Tech Support, saying they have found the problem -

<< Most of wizards and Advanced Launcher (but not Driver loader) start Hard Disk Manager engine which read all drives geometry. This is a problem with reading geometry through USB 3.0 connection of Seagate GoFlex controller.>>

so it's this "Hard Disk Manager engine" that is having the problem reading the drives geometry so once it's fixed this issue will be resolved :) hopefully in a future update.
    also advised them that the Transcend Storejet 1TB external USB 3.0 HDD I purchased has the same problem too :( so not just limited to Seagate.

Must compliment their tech support, they appear to be very professional.

6. brutisb

brutisb Registered Member

Furthermore to my posts ^ Paragon Disk Manager Suite 12 version 10.0.19.15177 has the same USB 3.0 problem.

7. John Doe Genius

I have got crazy with creating my personal WinPE boot disk. I have saved all DISM commands in a text file; with copy and paste (into the command window) it is easy to create your own CD. I received a Paragon offer I could not resist; now I am running HDM 12 Pro. Of course, I had to create a new boot cd, localized with my keyboard, the necessary USB 3.0 drivers loaded automatically. This time I started with the boot.wim from my purchased Paragon iso file. Added the USB drivers, the appropriate international settings, my favourite programs TotalCommander and IrfanView. Edited Startnet.cmd; all is working properly, with one exception. I cannot open the network shares. I have the same error message when I boot from the Paragon CD (and starting Explauncher.exe). What is wrong? (To be honest, it is not important to have network access, but ….)

PS I did a mistake with my CMD file, 'B&R 11 Home' should be replaced with 'HDM 12 Pro'. What a disaster!

Attached Files:

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Winpe3 natively supports wired connections only.

To utilize that, you need to run wpeinit first - the original paragon boot disc will do that before starting up the express launcher.

You can just add wpeinit.exe in winpeshl.ini, or you can put wpeinit.exe as the first line in your cmd file that you are calling up there.

You will need to wait a few seconds for it to do it's thing.

It is probably better to use the normal paragon startup routine, and add your programs into explauncher.ini

You can then select them from there - explauncher.exe is the shell - so don't close it - always use the Hide instruction.

Just copy what paragon have done .

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  9. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Like this:

Open explauncher.ini in any text editor - notepad is fine, it looks like this:

explaun1jpg.jpg

Add an entry like this:

expl2.jpg

Result:

expl3.jpg

PS - you would probably want to include Dont_Eject if you are adding it to the boot disc.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  10. John Doe Genius

What an elegant solution for integrating some extra apps!! I did not know that the Paragon software is that flexible; thanks a lot, SIW2. I am going to reconstruct my latest WinPE build. :thumb:

I think silent.exe includes the execution of wpeinit.exe, the silent.ini ends with:
    [Menu_0]
    Name_0=Initializing hardware...
    Execute_0=%WinDir%\System32\wpeinit.exe

I have a wired local network connection, but still I am not able to access the network (neither from the Paragon CD nor my own WinPE CD which IS running silent.exe).

11. John Doe Genius

What a success; I mean my personalized WinPE boot CD/USB with HDM12 Pro, USB 3.0 drivers permanently saved in DriverStore, localized keyboard. Total Commander and IrfanView integrated in HDM12. Notepad is available through Total Commander (the usual 'F4 Edit). Thanks, SIW2.

Through my working with DISM - Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool – I have learned that DISM may decrease the size of the folder c:\Windows\winsxs. The command is 'DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded'. In my case, the folder had grown to 11.7 GB, after the clean-up the size was 7.34 GB (google social.technet.microsoft.com).

Attached Files:

12. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Nice one John,

Careful, it gets addictive - you might end up with something like this:

PARAGON-WCP-PE.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.