WinPE 3 and USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by nickscott, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickscott

nickscott Registered Member

Does WinPE 3 have USB 3.0 drivers or do they need to be added during creation? If so, how is that done?

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

That depends on wether or not your USB 3.0 ports are on your mother board or not. If they are, you don't but if your using an external HD connect to a card that you added, yes.

From the WinPE disc opening menu, Tools>Add Drivers. You need the 32-bit INF(s) from your card. That may be hard to find if you have a 64-bit PC because most of the time there is only one driver file and it loads the proper driver. If you have a 32-bit PC, you should be able to locate the INF by looking at the Device Manger and your cards driver info.

I and other here had the same problem but since most all use the same Intel chip. Intel finally released seperate 32-bit and 64-bit files. If you search for "USB 3.0", you should thread(s) from me and I think links to the Intel drivers.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My friend has a USB 3 system provided by add-in card. He had to add the drivers in the WinPE CD for 2011 Home.

The drivers aren't added during creation but when you execute the WinPE environment. There is a button to add drivers. IIRC, he had to add 3 drivers total for the USB3 interface card and drive. His drivers were on the CD he got when he bought the USB3 hardware pieces.

4. nickscott

Thanks. I'm using a notebook with USB 3.0. Device Manager reports:

Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller
    Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub

I'll see what happens when the retail software arrives.

5. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Okay I found the Intel link to driver which carries the same Renesas name as yours and mine were. Liooks like from the date the drivers are newer than than what I'm using now. The link is: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19880&keyword=usb 3.0&lang=eng. Unlike some, this has seperate 32-bit and 64-bit. If you on 32-bit system now, you already have them right now.

What software are you waiting on?

To clarify, "seekforever" is correct, you do need three files: inf, cat and sys files. The driver loader only will see the inf file which will load the other two it needs. You need two inf files, one for the hub and another for the controller. They both are named, so you know which is which. When you load the drivers from the WinPE, install the controller first then the hub or it won't see your external HD.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. seekforever

Actually, I think he had 3 .inf files, 2 for the controller and the WDSES driver. I'm going from memory with this but I also think without the Western Digital SES driver the drive only ran at USB2 speeds.

7. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Those same two Renesas Electronics drivers are used for many different brands of USB 3.0 cards. I have a Buffalo PCI card and a BlacX docking station from Thermaltake.

I have a thread here where the actually USB 3.0 speed while under the Paragon WinPE disc using HDM was actually no faster than USB 2.0. I had a problem ticket in and went back/forth with them for weeks. Finally they sent me screen captures unders Windows and a picture of the screen using the WinPE disc. When I did the same, I guess that they finally believed me. I forgot about it and out of the blue, I get an answer saying to try the latest build which fixed it. The ability or option while making a archive to see actual R/W speed has been since removed from Paragon products.

8. nickscott

Thanks for this info. I'm waiting on Backup & Recovery 11 Home which was dispatched today.

9. wptski

wptski Registered Member

You didn't want the downloadable version?

10. nickscott

11. wptski

wptski Registered Member

12. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Nick,

That looks a good deal. Let us know how you get on with the software.

Hi wptski,

I haven't been around in a while.

Do the Paragon staff vist here still- or have they left the forum to wither and die?

13. seekforever

In the few months I have been reading this forum there has been absolutely nothing to indicate Paragon staff read it also.

14. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Somebody definitely does monitor and moderate here though. They moved one of my threads. And I suspect the Paragon folks must at least "lurk" to check out the feedback from time to time. It would be very foolish not to.

15. seekforever

Wilder's staff are the moderators and AFAIK they "run" the board for any vendor or group that wants to have one. Acronis used to be on Wilders before they decided to set their own board up 2 or 3 years ago.

I agree they should at least lurk to gather feedback but if they are doing so it is pure lurking, no solutions provided to the poster.

16. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I always thought that "Mech An" might be from Paragon. Some of answers provided by that user are pretty detailed.

17. seekforever

Yes indeed, he certainly knows a lot about the product's operation but OTOH I would have thought that a Paragon person would identify themselves as such but maybe not.

18. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, Mech An is from the Paragon Moscow office.

He does his best, but seems to be given little time to help out here.

It was different a while back.

The California office started this site and I helped out by answering as best I could - e.g. at weekends.

There would be proper tech staff on this forum every day - except weekends and public holidays, of course.

It worked very well and attracted quite a lot of visitors.

A vibrant support forum should be a very important part of the marketing strategy.

19. seekforever

Are you saying you are also Paragon staff?

This sounds a lot like the way Acronis operated when it was hostd on Wilders. Acronis staff answered questions but their presence was somewhat unofficial and there was no guarantee an Acronis person would be present to handle questions although IIRC you did know they were part of Acronis.

20. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

No,

I just happened along to this forum - shortly after it started.

It was the weekend so there were no staff here.

I answered a couple of dozen post - correctly of course.

I then got an email from Paragon thanking me - and we exchanged emails for a while after that - they also let me have copies of pretty much everything for personal evaluation .

I am sure they were aware I am well known on various windows forums and would talk about the products on those forums as well.

Last I heard the Moscow Ofiice was taking over running this support forum.

I have heard nothing from the California Office for a long while.

I don't even know if it still exists - or if it does it may be smaller - the current economic climate and all that.

21. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I've ran across your posts and your programs you have authored all over the net going back years. IIRC, your either Italian and work in Germany or German and work in Italy. Incorrect or maybe close??

22. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Hi SIW2 and wptski :)

I was surprised to find my name in this discussion. I will do my best to visit this forum more frequently, but I don't work in support department anymore . This forum is my hobby :)

PS Thanks for kind words, SIW2.

PPS Mech An is "she" ;)

23. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I suppose I should have guessed it was Anna.

Ooops - sorry.

Thanks for putting your own time in to help out round here.

24. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

I posted last year regarding an issue I am having with the WinPE 3.0 CD. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad notebook with built-in USB 3.0 ports. I am using B&R 10.0.11.11844. My backup drive is an external WD MyBook 3.0. I can back up to that drive through the USB 3.0 port under Windows, but if I try to access the drive connected to either a USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 port with the WinPE 3.0 CD, it will not recognize it. I have an older WinPE 2.1 CD created from an earlier Paragon backup version. I was at least able to recognize the drive in a USB 2.0 port using that. The Linux CD will also recognize the drive on the 2.0 port. I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing any such issues.

JohnD

25. seekforever

My friend was doing some Paragon backup and recovery with a USB3 add-in card and he needed to add drivers for his USB3 card. There is a discussion on this nearer the beginning of this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.