WinPatrol Question?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jon_fl, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

What programs are similar to Win Patrol? How do they compare to WP? Freeware preferred but any input appreciated. :)

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

jon,
    Many people have Ad-Aware, SS&D, and A2, as anti spyware and
    anti trojanware.
    Win Patrol is another big helper in it's own ways, and I would not be without it.
    Each of these programs are kind of similar but each has it's own method of
    helping with security.
    They all have freeware versions.

Regards.

3. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Micro, I have a pretty good layer of defense. I guess I want to know if WinPatrol, for what it does, is my best alternative for that type of program. Thanks. :)

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Jon :)

'Similar' programs would be AdWatch from AdAware PLUS/PRO, SpywareGuard and Spybot. [Plus others of course which I don't have]

AdAware watches for changes in reg, checks tracking cookies, hijackers, etc.
    SpywareGuard browser hijacker, RTM in .exe/.cab files upon opening, etc.
    Spybot, BHO, Cookies, Startup, etc.

All overlapping each other to some point along with WinPatrol.

Hope this is what you were looking for, apart from 'how well' it does it's job compared to others is a matter of opinion.

I have the program, but normlly don't run it much, just started it now, and it immediately alerted me I had two new start-ups which I was aware of, but it alerted. :)

Cheers, TAS

5. x-man

x-man Registered Member

Great little program. I use it all the time. But I know some of the more advanced members around here may say that one of its weaknesses is that it tries to undo changes after they have been made and not prevent them from occuring in the first place. The latter being the preferred method for the best possible security.

6. Moore

Moore Registered Member

I think the next closest program to Winpatrol would be Regrun , which is like Winpatrol on steroids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.