winpatrol and others like it

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by T_Durden, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

I have seen a lot of folks use and suggest it to me as a secondary or replacement to my AV and had some questions. Can products such as mbam pro in real time run ok with it? What other products are like it so I know my options and how well do they protect? last, what else should be used with it besides sandboxing? I have a router, win7 firewall,MSE(changing it soon) and FF with WOT and ad block plus with no script as well. Thanks. Been trying to get something set up for a while but cant decide on what to use but would like to try a product like that. thanks

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's a good learning tool imo.. As for its security, I wouldn't rely on it as a replacement for AV.

The free version doesn't block changes, it just monitors them every X minute and notifies you. Can still reverse most changes though (not stealth malware).

Personally, I haven't tried the Paid version.

The best aspect is its compatibility with almost all systems. Shouldn't interfere with yours.

3. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

Thanks. Yeah i was looking at the paid since it would obviously do more. I dont want to layer a ton of stuff when it isnt a must. I know there are a few things needed but it seems that so much is overkill to me. could be wrong though. Been reading up on what i can but as im sure you know,theres always a pretty equal amount of love/hate for everything

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Win Patrol is a useful security tool, but never was meant to be a replacement for an av.
    WP has always run well with other programs in my experience.
    The Plus version has the ability to monitor things in real-time. That and access to information about programs and processes are the incentive to purchase a license for the Plus version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.