WinPatrol 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DasFox, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I've also been using the paid version. I'll take function over form any day. For me, this app has both. Useful, useful, useful!

2. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

:thumb:
    My thoughts exactly!:thumb:

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, when I say crappy GUI, it mostly about WP not remembering columnsize, but these things can annoy me. Also, I believe there are a lot of better tools out there that can monitor all this stuff. But it comes down to personal taste, it´s nothing personal or something, you like an app, or you don´t. :)

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@Han-- 10Q

6. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

A permanent fixture on my computers.
    Love this app.! :cool:

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Your absolutely right about personal taste. By the way, which tools do you think are better? Is there something else that combines the same features?

8. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Checked Arovax. No development after April 07.

9. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Agreed-one of the finest programs ever written and provides many security and utility functions.

10. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I have a question about WinPatrol. I just bought the plus version and I'm having trouble understanding how it detects startup programs. I've tried putting several apps into Windows' startup folder and I have not been prompted. Obviously this is just a test, kind of the the eicar file, but WP seems to fail. Startup monitoring is set to real-time. Any ideas?

Thanks.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Surely WinPatrol covers that directory seeing it is a critical (global) start up location.
    Didn't notice any HIPS in your sig, but FYI, EQS monitors that folder and alerts the instant anything tries to enter it. Something maybe to consider.

12. n8chavez

It seems as though WP cannot alert the user to any changes unless they are actively dealing with WP; having it in the taskbar is not enough. Is that a fair assumption? That seems to be the way it is with me. If not then, I guess I need a little help.

13. n8chavez

That is true, but the new version has a poorly implemented sandox. I much prefer Sandboxie; it is more configurable. Also EQS is too hard to set up, and I've asked you before for your ruleset but you declined. :'( :'( :mad:

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I had to decline because my ruleset was & still is not fully established enough to risk jeapordizing another member's confidence or putting them at risk. And with the latest 4.0 beta all those rulesets now have to undergo another inventory in order to assure their completeness.

So i certainly don't have any problem sharing my rulesets for EQS, but like Ilya of DefenseWall, call me a perfectionist. I won't spare any expense or effort to first determine that the entire ruleset is 100% safe & effective before passing it on to anyone.

I hope you understand.

EASTER

15. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

My experience with WP+ is that if you install a program that adds
    an entry to start itself, WP+ detects it within its real time
    monitoring parameters, and similarly, if you add a short cut to an
    installed program to the Docs & Settings Startup folder. If you add
    a shortcut to an uninstalled app, WP+ may not detect it until the
    first time it executes on re-boot.

I just tested the latest version, and it worked as descibed.

16. n8chavez

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not complaing that you didn't share you set. I'm simply saying that in the case of EQS, although I do like it, I would need to be at the merct of others who are more educated than me in terms of what needs protecting, or perhaps more appropriately how to protect. That's why I don't use it. SSM, Neoava, Sandboxie, and DefenseWall are all easier for me to use.

As far as Defensewall, which you suggested, versus Sandboxie, which I currently use, I kind of like the idea that if I were to pick up anything malicious that was not picked up by Dr Web nor blocked by LnS, what ever it is would get erased when I close my browser. The same cannor be said for DefenseWall.

17. n8chavez

This is what is troubling me a bit. If I installed an application I would be alerted when it adds a startup entry. Right, is that what your saying? The same is not true for applications that are not installed; eg. CCleaner, Proxomitron, Restoration, etc. Correct? That bothers me because I don't understand why I would want to be alerted about a product I have installed. It's the ones that are not installed, the ones that could potentially be malware, that I am concerned with. Does that make sense? Either way WP+ is not alerting me to any change unless I am actively using it.

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks

FYI, as soon as EQSecure releases the FINAL of version 4.0 and i go over it with a fine tooth comb which shouldn't take too long since it's very clear they intend to advance it's protection coverage well beyond what 3.41 already offered, i'll be more than happy to pass my rulesets along for anyone to use.

I expect this new version to surpass other HIPS, at least i trust they will put the neccessary effort forward into it so that it does stand well above all the others enough to leave no doubt or any entry vectors to chance.

EASTER

19. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

WP alerts here whenever a new program is installed.
    Have you tried uninstalling WP then reinstalling?

20. n8chavez

No, I haven't yet. I'll do that right now, flush out the registry, and then report back here.

21. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

When I said an app that is not installed, I meant one that runs
    from a folder on your desktop, and is not installed in the
    Windows Program Files Directory, etc.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  22. n8chavez

I've uninstalled and then reinstalled WP. The only problem is that I don't have my WP+ code anymore and I seemed to have never recieved an email with it. So, I can't test the pro features until Monday when I can retieve my code. But I did have some success with copying a link into the startup folder. After one minute I was alerted that there was a change. My issue might have been with WP+, as opposed to WP. For now thought this is good news.

23. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

If you have trouble retriving your plus code contact bill by e mail at

support@winpatrol(dot)com (did not make a live e mail link in just in case)

I once hade a plus code issue and support was very quick in getting it to me.

24. n8chavez

Thanks for the suggestion. I contacted him last night and just recieved my plus code. It seems that the isssues I've been having with WP are actually because of the real-time monitor. I was prompted to system changes when every monitor was set to 1 min, but that is not the case with everything set to real-time. Of course, as soon as I launch WP from the taskbar I am alerted. I wonder why that is. Any ideas?

25. muf

muf Registered Member

With realtime selected, does Winpatrol alert to any new startups after 1 minute which is the interval you had it set on before upgrading to the Plus version. I am wondering if for some reason it is not changing the interval to 0 minutes and keeping the previous interval of 1 minute.

muf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.