Winmend Registry Defrag fux0red my Latop

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Right, so I thought only registry cleaners can fux0r your computer.

I installed WinMend Registry Defrag, did a registry defrag, it reduced my registry by 1.5%, then when I restarted, Windows just hangs at the login screen for ages (more than 2 mins) before it loads.

Tried many restarts but no luck, still the same, back to a previous image and installing all apps again :(

Why would a registry defrag screw your computer?? or is it just that Winmend is a crappy defragger? you think I should try defragging the registry using Auslogics Registry Defrag or they're all the same?

2. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Could be that it rebuilds and recompress the whole registry database which I'd find quite risky? :ninja:
    And what would the benefit of it be?

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

A reduction of 1.5% is nothing is it.?
    Why do you need such junk programs.
    I hope it has taught you to leave the registry alone.
    Regards.:thumb:

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

My advice regarding the registry is that if it isn't broken, do not fix it!

IMO, only use auto registry tools if you are heavily considering a full wipe and re-install of everything. If things are severely messed up, what do you have to lose?

But otherwise, you have much to lose!

5. d0t

d0t Registered Member

Nothing more to add =)

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've never had any problems with it. I last used it just a few days ago.

I'm not sure what's going on there with Windows hanging - I've never had that happen to me with any registry defragger. I like Auslogics registry defrag, becuase it is quicker to analyse the registry than other such software, and Windows does not freeze during the analysis as with other such defrag software. However it is only a trial version, so you have to buy it after the trials runs out, and also at one point at time it stopped working properly for me - no matter how fragmented the registry was, it would always show no fragmentation.

NTREGOPT is an often recommened registry defrag software by the author of ERUNT.

To make things clear, registry cleaners/fixers and defragmenters are two completely types of software. Basically, when you delete keys from the registry the size of the registry hives stays the same, and over time you end up with hives which are needlessly large, and where the registry data is disorganised. Registry defragmenters create new copies of the registry hives which are smaller and have the registry data arranged in linear fashion. What they don't do is find and remove so called registry errors. While I've never noticed any real difference from doing a registry defrag, it it said (even by some Windows experts who claim that cleaning the registry won't make your computer any faster) that defraging the registry can potentially make Windows run faster.

7. berryracer

I just defragged my registry with Auslogics Registry Defrag and it went smooth. No hang at Windows Login :)

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Please enjoy your "false" sense of accomplishment.
    You originally posted stating that winmend caused a looping effect at boot up and then you go and try another one.
    You certainly like dancing with lady luck.Hope she doesnt leave you on your lonesome.:eek:

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed why bother with these programs. you seem to not like them with every one you try.

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

In fairness to berryracer, it is extremly rare for a registry defrag to cause problems.

11. DBone

DBone Registered Member

EXACTLY what he said :rolleyes:

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I've learned
    -in the HARD way-
    Not to trust Registry Cleaners...;)

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You can send this to federal trade commision like you did with jv power tools and complain how they ruined your machine.

Next time, you might want to try in-memory changes by accessing registers using an oscilloscope, that ought to boost the computer speed.

Mrk

14. berryracer

IF you were trying to be funny, you're not :rolleyes:

I never mentioned them emailing me or spamming me just mentioned how it destroyed my system.

IF you don't have something useful to say next time, please zip your mouth :blink:

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I was being helpful. Your attitude needs a big defrag.
    Mrk

16. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

This happens very often with all registry defraggers. Some little thing goes wrong and a critical part of your system is left corrupted.

There are virtually no benefits to defragging the registry. The few MBs of it are held in RAM anyways so access times are the same regardless of its size.

The only thing it'll do is save you a few kilobytes in RAM, maybe a few megabytes tops. And it's (clearly) not that safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.