wingate

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by esdxc37, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esdxc37

esdxc37 Registered Member

hi there to all the members just new to this board

have been using wingate as my router firewall for about 3 months now have tried za and black ice but was not impressed
    is there anyone else using wingate that can help
    my setup is a server a p2 200 with 64mb ram that is a dedicated router to another 4 computers in the house. every once in a while wingate freezes the server and forces a reboot. is this an issue with wingate and should i change and if so what to
    thanx

2. root

root Registered Member

Hi esdxc37. I just uninstalled Wingate yesterday. I had been using it for a few months for ICS purposes, because I could not get my Win2K to work with a Win98 client machine.
    I have also been using Outpost, and all I can say is that as a firewall, Wingate leaves a lot to be desired. Outpost caught all kinds of traffic in and out that just breezes thru Wingate.
    I switched to AnalogX Proxy and ICS is working great thru the proxy now.
    I am not familiar at all with using a setup like you have. I have heard of people using a machine like that and installing smoothwall, a Unix type firewall, as that makes an excellent firewall. Requires knowlege of Linux I guess.
    I now have Outpost pro on my server machine, Win2K SP2, and use AnalogX Proxy for ICS. This is giving me excellent protection for both server and client.
    I never had any freezes with Wingate. What OS is on the Server machine? Also, Wingate just came out with an updated version. Have you tried that?

3. esdxc37

esdxc37 Registered Member

thanx for the reply root
    I was using smoothwall before I switched to wingate and the reason I switched to wingate was because of the poor support it had for proxy5 servers
    smoothwall was great and it requires no knowledge of unix/linux but it is not really mainstream(i.e. the usa has never taken to it in a big way)so support is minimal.
    whats the url for outpost will have a look at that and report back

cheers

4. root

root Registered Member

Sorry bout dat. :)
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
    And here is the addy for the forum, where you will receive excellent help/answers/advice from a great bunch.
    http://www.agnitum.com/forum/

The free version is good for stand alone computers only.
    There is an issue with ICS support for Win2k SP2 and WinXP that will be fixed in the next version due out in about a month if all goes well.
    Like I said, I'm using AnalogX proxy for ICS and it's great.
    If you want to keep Wingate and use Outpost with it, it should work allright as it worked for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.