Windows7 FireWall control

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kees1958, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

On the gaming rig I setup the Vista FW two ways, using Stem's excellent posts.

Because I am bit lazy I always used to install Vista FW control on the x64 machine and just wrote down what to allow manually in Vista's own FW and de-install Vista FWC

I had to allow a new program with lots of execs in its directory so I re-installed Windows & firewall control (the next version) on Vista x64. To my surpirse the initial delay in VFWC icon pop-up and use of the internet is now gone. With Vista FW control the 'after boot availability' is as fast as without it.

So the freebie has become better.

2. MagisDing

MagisDing Registered Member

Hi,Kees~
    Do you mean the free version of FWC x64 in OS win7 works fluently?;) But the absence of functions(compare to the paid version) makes me annoying cause some of them are desired for me:doubt:

3. Kees1958

No sorry the new named Windows 7 Fiorewall control 'releases' the system faster on Vista x64 now at initial boot.

4. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

I'd like to use windows7 firewall control. But I find it a little ridiculous when there are so many excellent free firewall to use,you'll have to pay for a full function Windows firewall control software. Isn't it? :doubt:

5. Kees1958

Bonedriven,

The freebie also works fine, only with limited options.

I use it to write down the programs which need outbound connections etc. It uses the Vista FireWall. Then I de-install Windows 7 Firewall control. Next I use Stem's post to manually allow the programs listed in Windows 7 firewall control. See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=239750&highlight=Vista FireWall Stem

Result: a fast and solid 2-way FW on Vista (certainly on x64 it runs very smooth)

Regards

6. ramoncin

ramoncin Registered Member

Hi, I am currently trying W7PrivFWCntrl. for application control.

To my surprise I have noticed that the UNREGISTERED plus version has more readily available features than the free version (such as a wide variety of zones, the freebie only has enable/disable/in/out). Registration unlocks further advanced features.

7. Kees1958

Good tip, do these extra sustain after trial period (if any trial that is)

8. ramoncin

ramoncin Registered Member

There is no mention of an expiration date. It does ask for registration info randomly and whenever ones tries to use advanced features (such as editing zones)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  9. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Not for x64 :(

10. blegs385521

blegs385521 Registered Member

One oddity. I use the free version in Win 7 RTM. The Windows security center shows Win7FirewallControl as turned on, and Windows Firewall as turned off. I though that this is just a front end to the windows firewall and, as such, should not report itself as an actual firewall. Is this just a reporting problem, or is the firewall actually turned off (not a good thing, I would think).

11. blegs385521

Doesn't uninstalling Win7FireWallControl defeat the purpose of having this program. My main reason is to warn me if any programs that I did not knowingly install are trying to go out to the internet (e.g., malware that I downloaded), and to enable mis to block it. Doing what you say seems to be fine as far as telling windows what to allow initially, but does nothing to let you block anything after.

12. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

You set Vista or 7 firewall to block all inbound/outbound not matching a rule. Any programs you install will not get through unless you create a rule.

Attached Files:

13. blegs385521

Do these rules have to be created manually, or does the user get a prompt asking him/her to enable inbound/outbound in the same way the the Firewall Control program does?

14. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Windows will already have some rules created for you, you will have to do the rest. No prompts unfortunately. It is pretty easy to set up. Here is a link to a thread that Stem (firewall moderator) started about Vista firewall with advanced security, I think, but don't know for sure that Win7 is the same setup.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=239750&highlight=vista firewall advanced security

15. blegs385521

I'm not sure what this procedure buys over Firewall Control, at least for the basic inbound/outbound permissions. I can see where one would have to use Windows Firewall for setting up port forwarding...etc., but why would I want to go through all of the steps for each app when FirewallControl prompts me and sets up the rules for me.

16. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I am not arguing for either way. I was just posting that you can have full control with Vista/7 firewall if you want.

17. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

It doesn't take long to set up the rules. Vista made the rules for core networking and network discovery. I only have a couple of programs that I made rules to let through. I have windows services created in one or two rules. That's about it, unless one is installing new programs all the time that need outbound access, otherwise your done. It really isn't much trouble. With that said it is nice to have a 3rd party firewall prompt you, then the rule is created automatically. My browsing speed is noticeably faster when I just use Vista firewall. Although with my machine specs I am not too concerned with overhead, I still try to keep it lean and start ups to a minimum. You don't have worry about any conflicts with your av either.

18. blegs385521

Gotcha.

I have a fast (FIOS) internet connection, so browsing speed is not really an issue for me.

Actually, I have a subscription to Norton Internet Security 2009 and am just waiting for them to come up with a workable patch for Windows 7. Once I get that, I will uninstall, or at least disable the firewall control program - this is just a stopgap. But it will be nice to know it in case I get a 4th PC that needs protection (NIS only supports 3 on one subscription). Part of my current setup is a second partition that still has the Win 7 RC on it an on which I am able to run NIS (don't ask - I have no idea why it works on that but not on the RTM). Once I get NIS working for the main O/S, I may try and play with the Windows Firewall settings - it never hurts to learn something new.

Thanks for you help.

19. blegs385521

Ok - let's say that I have now set up all of the rues that I need (using the rules from Firewallcontrol as my base). I now install a new program that has an automatic update feature. Since I don't have a rule for this, I would expect it to fail when it tries to update. How will I know what Program I need to create the rule for? Is there a log that I can look at to the the firewall blocking the update attempt?

Also, when entering a path, is there any reason that I would use %program files%\ instead of c:\program files\?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  20. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

The following quotes are from this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=239750&highlight=vista firewall advanced security

Attached Files:

21. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I should have posted private profile pc and not domain.

Attached Files:

22. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I think you can, I have not done it, I just browse to it.

Attached Files:

23. mevcit

mevcit Registered Member

Hi there.

Since there's no part in Windows 7 Firewall Control (at least in the free version) to restrict outbound connection rules (ports, etc) for each application, I prefer Windows built-in firewall. It gives more protection.

Btw, the built-in firewall prompts user for inbound attempts, but not for outbound. In this case the log file may help (I haven't taken a look at there though). For those who think that creating rules is a big and hard work, they can first install W7 Firewall Control temporarily and run all the applications that need internet connection. Then the rules can be created in the built-in firewall with those application paths (some protocol and port restrictions -which Stem's also mentioned on the Windows Firewall Advanced Security posts- may improve the security). For me, it's quite easy to find the relevant files and create rules manually.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  24. Kees1958

Yep difficult or plain lazy, see first post :D

25. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Antivir flagged this as a trojan when I tried to install it. I use Online Armor Premium on my Vista and XP machines. I'm usually behind a firewall router when I'm at home. I thought I could install the free or unregistered Windows7 Firewall version and use Mamutu for screening unknown programs/behaviors.

Having the firewall control would eliminate some of the drag caused by a more complete firewall. I have a couple of more months until Amazon.com ships Windows 7 to my front door. I haven't experienced a rogue program invading my system and probably wouldn't have a clue if it did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.