Windows XP

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by bilotta, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bilotta

bilotta Registered Member

o_O o_O o_O o_O

I downloaded SpywareBlaster on a new computer with Windows XP and I'm not sure it is working correctly. I've used it on my old PC that had windows98 and it removed all checked and cleaned items, but Windows XP still leaves them in the window? It says it worked, but I wonder??

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Taz

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Taz,

Welcome at Wilders. :)
    Could you explain more precisely what your concern is, because it sounds to me that SpywareBlaster did not work correctly on your 98 computer. After clicking "Protect against checked items" you are supposed to get a Succes screen and then the list of items you're protected against should appear in the main screen.

Regards,

Pieter

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareBlaster does not clean or remove spyware - instead it prevents spyware from being installed.

The main list of items is not a list of spyware present on your system, but is a list of the spyware that SpywareBlaster can block.

Does this help? (More details would also be appreciated.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. bilotta

I thought Spyware blaster removed and prevented spyware from the system. What good does it do if it does not remove what is already there? If spyware does not remove it, what does?

Thanks,

Taz

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareBlaster can prevent the installation of spyware and can disable some of it, if it is present.

For removal, there are great freeware programs such as Spybot S & D and Ad-Aware. Since those programs already do a great job at removing spyware, I didn't try to duplicate their efforts in SpywareBlaster. Instead, I focused on a unique method of preventing spyware from being installed, as a first defense layer. :) (You can use SpywareBlaster along with one or both of the removal programs listed above - together they make a great team.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

:D Ten four!! Javacool - Things are really peachy around my computer since having installed this software ;) Taz - All three work just great and with XP. I have not had any problems. As a matter of interest, Ad-Aware will include the spyware "data miner" [RedSherrif] which SpyBot doesn't so it is wise to have both programs installed. Most important also is to have your defnitions updated frequently otherwise you will not have the full protection available to you. Cheers

7. bilotta

I had just started using Spyware blaster and Spybot on my old PC and got the two confused. I have downloaded all 3 programs on my new PC and all is working well. Thanks for clarifying the programs.

I have a question about what Ad-ware found on my PC. It found a folder and several files called WildTangent Channel Manager. It came on my new PC. Should I have any concerns about alllowing this program to update itself automatically?

Many thanks to everyone! It's nice to have trusted computer experts who care!

Thanks!

Taz
    :)

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Taz,

Spybot S&D stopped targeting WildTangent as they no longer consider it spyware: http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=10&t=4747&hl=wildtangent&s=1de0054276011def459f54fa5891bf78

HTH,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.