Windows XP Will Move Into Extended Support in April -

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NICK ADSL UK, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Windows XP Will Move Into Extended Support in April - What Does that mean for you?
    Windows XP will be moving from "Mainstream Support" into "Extended Support" on April 14th, 2009.

At that time Microsoft will no longer provide no-charge incident support and will no longer accept requests for non-security hotfixes. While in Extended Support:

Support for Windows XP will only be available via paid support options or self-help. Visit http://support.microsoft.com for assistance.
    Security updates, as required, for Windows XP will still occur during Extended Support.
    Non-security related hotfixes will require an Extended Hotfix Support Agreement to be purchased (per-fix fees also apply)
    Self-Help Online Support will continue to be available for a minimum of 12 months after the product reaches the end of its support lifecycle (for Windows XP the lifecycle is currently scheduled to end on April 8, 2014). Microsoft online Knowledge Base articles, FAQs, troubleshooting tools, and other resources, are provided to help customers resolve common issues with Windows XP.

http://blogs.technet.com/smc_alerts...ort-in-april-what-does-that-mean-for-you.aspx

2. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

RIP, you were great in your day.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I was thinking about this subject yesterday, Windows 7 isn't out yet (offically) and M$ is in a hurry to discontinue Windows Xp support. My biggest concern is if the present version of software is incompatible with Windows 7 and the software has to be rewriten for windows 7.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

MS has been desperately trying to get people off XP since Vista came out. I don't think we'll be seeing any more "backing down" now like we did during Vistas' time. As far as incompatible software, well, the Beta is readily available, so software developers better get their act right this time around.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  5. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Microsoft has already stated that applications written for Vista will be fully compatible with Windows 7 when it gets released. Therefore, most Windows XP applications should also work with Windows 7.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Bout time developers get with the program eh? ;) They've had plenty of time till now with Vista being out for so long already.

7. Infinite Luta

Infinite Luta Registered Member

For what it's worth, Microsoft is just following their support lifecycle policy.

quote from http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy
    For the most part, MS is following it to the letter. There is one exception though: XP Home Edition will have extended support even though it's technically a consumer product.

What's also interesting, if you look at the mainstream and extended support dates for the different editions of Windows Vista you'll see that Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate won't have extended support (only Business and Enterprise will). Assuming that doesn't change, the home editions of Vista will reach End of Life about 2 years before extended support for XP Home Edition ends.

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I am no Xp fanboy but it does seem better than Vista. Windows 7 looks promising but it is a long way off...end of 2010 a lot can change...for the better I hope.

9. ambient_88

I believe it's late 2009 or early 2010.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it could be as early as 3rd quarter 09.

11. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I'm still using windows xp sp2. Not planning to upgrade to sp3 anytime soon, less I run into problems.

Anyone who needs "support" to run xp, does need to upgrade to Vista. XP is already as "polished" and reliable as it's going to get that's why everyone still uses it.

Forums are available everywhere on the NET for anyone who has problems with XP, so in a way help is always easy to find. Third party software does a good job of securing XP for the forseeable future and beyond.

The demise of XP is always greatly exaggerated. It will outlive Vista.

12. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

That's interesting.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2008/apr08/04-03xpeos.mspx
    So MS is going to be selling XP without full support for over a year :| - that sucks for the customer, I wonder how many of the netbook buyers will be aware of this fact ?

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think there will be a slight extension yet for Windows XP, but don't expect anything more than a few months. Office 2003 goes along with Windows XP into extended support......Well, security updates will still be there for XP at least. :)

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

All you really need is security updates for XP, and as long as those keep rolling, I don't see the problem. You can continue to use it for quite some time.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

All the security updates XP ever needed came from security vendors AFAIK

They do a much better job at it IMHO.

EASTER

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The only problem I see for XP users is either upgrading their box to comply with Win 7 system requirements, or buying a new computer even though the running one works fine. I'm using a pentium4 2800ghz, 80GB HD, 1GB RAM which is more than I need with my XP.

17. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

That will run it just fine for me. My laptop has about half that and it runs it well enough to leave it on there until I can buy it and permanent install on there. My desktop is nearly the same with 3ghz & 2gb ram and it flies with win7. ;)

18. ambient_88

Do you mean security applications? Really, no one is better at patching Windows than Microsoft. After all, they are the only ones who have access to the source code.

19. Firecat

The big problem is that the end of mainstream support means that sooner or later development applications will no longer support Windows XP, that means no new versions of microsoft products such as WMP or IE, or the hottest new 3D games, and maybe even some AV applications........Since XP has such a huge marketshare right now I guess that won't happen too soon but it's going to start.......just like how lots of software doesn't work on Windows 2000 any longer. :doubt:

20. Firecat

He probably means faster response from security apps and the unofficial patches made by companies like eEye before Microsoft could release their own.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.