Windows XP software with Vista?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DCM, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCM

DCM Registered Member

Will most software that runs on XP also run on Vista? Sure don't want to have to buy new versions of all my software.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Probably, but there will be exceptions.

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I think most software will make a Vista patch or a free upgrade to the Vista version, but of course, some software may want to make more money by making its Vista compatabile version an upgrade, so that you may need to pay for it.

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Most software should be easy to adapt, but it's not that simple, as evidenced by programs that require Windows XP and will not work in Windows 2000.

There are subtle differences between Win 98 and post Win 98 that have cauused many programs to drop support of Win 98. It is more expensive to support both, and places needless constraints on a prog if Win 98 has to be supported.

The differences 'tween Win 2000 and Win XP are less severe, but it's lessexpensive top drop support for Win 2000, sigh!, e.g., NAV 2007 and recent versions of Windows Media PLayer do not support Win 2000.

Similar differences, perhaps more so, will cause Win XP support to be dropped for some apps. And to take full advantage of Vista, you will want native Vista apps.

If Vista is successful, the software sector is gonna make a ton of money.
    Not to mentionm hardware vendors selling more powerful system to accommodate the requirements of Vista.

Heck, even I will have to give in a build/buy another computer.
    I'll miss Windows 2000. Never used Windows XP, skipped a generation of Windows. Of course, most folkes can proably get by continuing tpo use Windows xP, but at some point, one's gotta make the move to Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.