Windows XP service pack 2 problem...........

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tru_Snoop, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tru_Snoop

Tru_Snoop Registered Member

Hi guys;

My computer had many problems recently. So I thought of installing Service Pack 2 on my computer. The installation couldn't finish becasue of one error. The error:

" Setup Cannot copy the file t2embed.dll"

It said that the file could not be found and browse to locate the file manually. Location it gave was "C:\windows\downloads\registryentry {long name so I couldnot remember}\"

I tried to retry but didn't work, so I had to click cancel, which canceled the entire installation of Service Pack 2.

What do you think the problem is? I was able to install service pack 2 before on my computer, but I uninstalled it for no good reason. I have to admit that an hour ago my computer crashed and after restarting my computer had serious problems like, corrupt definition database of Kaspersky antivirus, and I couldn't open internet explore and many other problems. I think maybe my registry was corrupt, but i am not sure. I was playing Battlefield 1942 when my computer crashed. Windows checked errors when I restarted pc and it fixed error: "windows\system\regerror". I don't know what that is.

what do you guys think is wrong with my computer?

thank you guys.

2. Can't Tell

Can't Tell Guest

Hi;

You decided to install XP2 on your pc because you were experiencing problems, am I right? The trouble is that installing SP2 may or may not have solved your original problem, and there's no way one can tell.

So, not sure this is what you had wanted to hear (I bet it ain't), but I think it's time for a clean install on your computer. Once you're done with the clean install, decide if you want or don't want to install SP2. The point is that it's much more secure and much better to install SP2, or any other service pack for that matter, on a clean system, that is a system which is not to much loaded with various games, and a system which had no time to slowly get messed up along the way through installing/uninstalling softs, and so on.

Make sure to install on a defragmented drive (which will be the case after a clean install).

To avoid similar problems in the future, you might want to consider acquiring an imaging software, to allow you to clone your clean new drive on another partition, so as to be able to revert to this clean clone at will as many times and often as you want.

Best wishes for whatever your decision will be.

Rgds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.