Windows XP Search Function Stopped Working

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I use Windows XP Search Function : START>SEARCH very often.

Just tried to use it yet again and it is not working - click - nothing happens.

I have done absolutely nothing, so please somebody :- why should this function suddenly stop working and how can I get it to work again ?

My operating package is in my signature.

Many thanks
    John

PS - my experience of these sudden events is that they are due to something simple, but I am floored on this one.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Re: Wndows XP Search Function Stopped Working

Did you restart the comp? It might help especially if you used the comp for some length of time

3. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

First of all are you running the default winxp search or do you have the indexing enabled as well.

If you have the indexing enabled then you might have turned off the indexing service accidentally.

You can also download and install windows search for XP and see if it corrects your problem.

4. John Bull

Your suggestion lit my candle. I downloaded it, run it and after a promising start by the wizard, it said "This program cannot be installed on this computer". Have`nt a clue why, I just had to crash it. Back to square one.

Can you see anything on my OA Keylogger blockages that may have caused trouble :-
    OA Keyloggers.JPG

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  5. Raza0007

"Program can not be installed on this computer"o_O

It appears something major has occurred on your system. Why not try using this function "sfc /scannow" and see if it corrects your problem. You may need winxp installation disk. Read about it here and here(relevant to you).

6. Raza0007

Sorry, I did not see your online armor attachment before posting. It will be difficult to tell from this attachment why the search function is disabled. In any case online armor should not block a key windows function. I did notice however that a program cleaner validator.exe --> updater.exe keeps trying to run on your system. Are you sure you are not infected with a virus? If you are infected that might explain why windows functions are not working or you are unable to install software on your system.

EDIT: It appears online armor has at least blocked the installation of windows search 4. I believe the wdssetup.exe blocked in the attachment is the installation program for windows search 4.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  7. John Bull

This may help.

Panel 1 shows the panel that comes up when left clicking START. The Search function highlighted is the one I have used forever with just a click. It has suddenly stopped working.
    Panel 1
    Winsearch 1.JPG
    Panel 2 comes up when right clicking START>Open. It is a panel I never use and the Search is shown in the Toolbar. I don`t know if it has always been there, but I want it back working on Panel 1. No excuse for going AWOL.
    Panel 2
    Winsearch 3.JPG

Sorry about the 3rd image, it crept in uninvited, just ignore it. The two with the red splodges on are all I intended.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Miekiemoes, GeeksToGo!

9. Raza0007

John,

If the previous linked articles and solutions did not solve your problem then you can re-download Windows Search 4, before installing temporary disable "Online Armor" as the exe is from microsoft and is trustworthy. After installation is complete you can re-enable Online Armor. This should solve your problem.

If even this does not, then I believe the last resort is to repair windows by re-installing winxp. You will not lose any data, just the OS files will be overwritten.

10. GlobalForce

"If the previous linked articles and solutions did not solve your problem ..." then I've got ;) one more in the pipe.

11. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ John Bull

Noticed this in one of your screenies

com.gif

I know several people who had their comps screwed up with that & had to reinstall :eek:

Not saying it's definately anything to do with that, just a heads up ;)

12. John Bull

Thanks Steve, I will put a clean diaper on and try that fix, it looks like it cured this same problem in your link. Will let you know and again thank you for your input.

Just one point, the fix is :-
    =====
    Do the following..
    Go to start > run and copy and paste the following commands one by one in the field:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 wshom.ocx

hit enter after each command
    ======
    It worked OK for that guy on Geeks-to-Go, but if I put in this Gobble-de-Gook and it does not work, what will Granny Windows think ? Once the fix goes in, how to I get it out again if it all goes PLONK ?

John

13. GlobalForce

Takes a few seconds .. we there yet? Don't know if it'll need a reboot. Say uh .. yer not using that CC for downstairs are ya?

14. GlobalForce

Those cmds won't cause any more than a "file not found" error - no biggie. Now c'mon, pull the trigger already!

15. John Bull

No CC Steve,

Have my finger on the trigger, but it`s a bit gloomy out there and the guy stumbling towards me looks a bit like my Platoon Sarge.

I have uninstalled that Comodo cleaner with all it`s bits and pieces.

John

PS - I want everybody to be kind to JB just for ONE day, it`s his Birthday on Saturday 6th November.

Dracula 4.gif

16. GlobalForce

Yes, we'll be nice. Now does search work or not?
    felix_pacing.gif

17. John Bull

No luck Steve. I did exactly what was said, hit OK (not ENTER) after each one, each time a panel said it was successful, I rebooted and tried Search (Panel 1 in my post). Nothing happened. The Search in Panel 2 (my post) works fine.

dammit Steve, I`ve gone and shot my poor old Sarge for nothing.

John

18. GlobalForce

Then, my final (and no you won't screw anything up) offer .. John Bukowski, via Ramesh - PCBanter. In addition, Happy Birthday Terry!

19. John Bull

Looks a bit more involved, I`ll study it and have a go.

PSSST - I`ll be as balmy as a cricket tomorrow with Brandy and strong lager. The dog will be coughing and spluttering with cigar smoke and I`ll be admiring that new streamlined drag reducing walking frame the wife has bought me. Got wheels on so I can get up some speed going downhill and disc brakes for safety.

If the Mods see this note, I`ll be slammed for being "Off Topic".

John

20. GlobalForce

Sounds OK (and quite :D funny) ta'me. That lager better be sumpthin good!

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Right-click the start button and choose properties, then click on the 'customise' button opposite where it says start menu. (I am assuming that you are not using the classic start menu choice there)

Select the advanced tab at the top and look down the list to make sure that the 'search' box is ticked.

22. John Bull

Dear Stapp - thank you for posting.

I have checked this option and all is OK, the Search box is checked.

Can I just bounce one on you, this seems crucial and I do not understand it at all.
    1. The SEARCH shown on the Start panel 1 in my post is NOT working. Absolutely nothing.
    2. The SEARCH shown on my panel 2 IS working perfect.

IF the SEARCH function is at fault in any way, then nothing would work.
    I have checked all kinds of suggestions including REGEDIT proposals made on the net, but can find nothing wrong.

I will try GF`s suggestion in his last post, but I cannot help thinking that there is nothing wrong with the Windows SEARCH function. What is wrong is that somehow the function listed on the Start menu (panel 1) has lost it`s active connection. I have`nt a clue how or what to do about it.

It is this factor that prevents me from tampering too much with the actual SEARCH function, going on the fact that if ONE works, the OTHER should.

At the moment, my only hope is Wilders, there are so many geeks and experts on this Forum that I am very optimistic somebody will crack it for me.

John
    I hope that users reading this thread with Windows XP Home and SP3 have checked that with their panels 1 and 2 shown in my post, BOTH Search icons work OK. I would hate it all to be a Windows update matter.

23. GlobalForce

What have we got here Terry, what do YOURS say? Second's the COM security launch tab.

comdflt_props.gif comsec_launchprms.gif

And furthermore, you will let us know of any COM+ errors in your event logs.

24. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Hehe, definitely good, but definitely NOT a lager.

Back on topic: Both working fine with all most recent Win Updates on XP SP3 for me, JB.

25. John Bull

Thank you croftie for checking that, it only needs one to do it. So it cannot be Windows updates.

John

GF`s hooch looks terrific, I`d love a few tomorrow. My lager is 9.0 % abv - 500 ml tin, a UK Scottish brew named Tennent`s. A few of those plus Brandy`s and I don`t reckon I`ll give a toot about my Windows Search problem for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.