Windows XP - new SATA II hard drive not booting

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by robkunz, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robkunz

robkunz Registered Member

I just added a SATA-II drive as my boot drive. It will only boot if it is set in the BIOS as IDE. If I set it to AHCI (SATA) I will get the XP splash screen for a few seconds and then it reboots.

I researched this a lot and my guess is that XP does not have a SATA driver installed and the only way to install the SATA driver is during the XP install process.

Is this true? If so, can I install XP on the SATA drive and then restore the drive from an image without damaging/corrupting XP and/or losing the SATA driver?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If your restore an image to a drive it wipes everything on the partition being restored. You need to get the driver issue sorted out and then make an image.

What does your documentation say about SATA drives. Some MBs refer to them as IDE - my P5LD2-VM SATA2 MB's BIOS does. Does your MB CD have SATA drivers on it to match your chipset?

You can try putting the SATA drive in as a second drive and then sort the BIOS and drivers out to get it setup. Once that is done you can make an image and restore it and the MBR if necessary to the SATA drive.

3. robkunz

robkunz Registered Member

The motherboard is a new Asus P5B. The SATA drive is a new Seagate 300 GB. Neither manual is at all helpful on this topic. I have gleaned the information in my post from various web sites.

I just don't see how I can do a new XP install (adding the SATA driver at the F6 driver prompt) and then add my imaged information without losing the new install or corrupting everything.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It obviously is running the drive as SATA because that is what it is. I don't know about the intricacies of the P5B but if you aren't running the latest version of TI10 you are likely to have trouble with the TI boot CD identifying the drives.

Before embarking on a wild goose chase, perhaps some P5B users can enlighten you on the situation. I think you should terminate this thread and post a new one with a title specific to your problem. Be sure you factor in something about TI since this is a TI, not a P5B, support forum.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello robkunz,

I have split these posts out of the True Image forum. I believe you will get more replies here.

Regards
    Menorcaman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.