Windows XP loading to a gray screen

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by biggerbyte, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biggerbyte

biggerbyte Registered Member

I'm having trouble with the latest version and Windows XP. XP wants to load to a gray screen and stop without loading anything to the desktop, including the task bar. I have to shut windows down via the power button on the computer and start over. Sometimes I can reboot and boot normal, other times I can never get past the blank desktop. I deleted ver. 2.5 today and went back to 2.12 and all is well again.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried the latest video drivers for your motherboard or card?

Cheers :D

3. biggerbyte

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have the latest everything on my computer. If I were having a driver problem, or any general XP problem, then things would not work properly no matter what version of NOD I'm using. As I stated above, all is well now with ver. 2.12. I've also had no problems in the past with 2.5x. This is all something recent since 2.5 has evolved to higher version numbers. Something is up, and it is not fun.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Could you please try the following:

Download a fresh copy of NOD32.

Uninstall your current version and reboot

Remove the Eset folder from C Drive> Program Files

Install the fresh copy of NOD32 that you downloaded above using "Typical" settings when asked.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

5. biggerbyte

I did as you asked, but my computer still does not want to give me the desktop. I had this happen for the first time today using ver. 2.12. The video drivers just got reinstalled tonight as a test. Other than that, I do not know what else to do. Stumped would not be the word for this. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be most grateful. Let me remind everyone that this happens randomly.

BB

6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

When you say this, how long have you tried waiting for to see if it does eventually?

What you're describing reminds me of a symptom that can occur when another application or utility does not want to play nicely with NOD32 at startup, for example a second anti-virus, or some network drivers or utilities to name a couple. The random factor could easily be Windows boot optimisation...

What else do you have installed?

btw. Blackspear is very good at getting issues sorted out for people if they're prepared to let him help them work through it...

Cheers :)

7. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

I saw the same thing with the desktop not loading with w98. There was a dialog box unable to display. A logged boot showed a font error and repairing the font folder with tweakUi made this go away with no further repeats.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  8. diggerphelups

diggerphelups Registered Member

I had this same problem. I had a ton more stuff installed on my PC, and had recently installed/uninstalled/mucked with the Cisco VPN client, which for some reason complaining about no network interface present on system (something along the lines of that). So i stuck with PPTP cause I wasn't in the mood to mess with it. I figured it was cuase I had 2 NICs and maybe it was choosing the disable/duisconnected one, or it was just straight up confused from it.

Well this same problem comes along for me, so I had to beleive there was something related. I powered off and rebooted a couple times and got a somewhat usable desktop after killing hung proccesses to finally get a workable desktop going. I then when to device manager and uninstalled my network cards, then rebooted. It took alot of nuging with task manager and killing things to get it kicking again since it seened alot of apps where trying to bind to the now no-existant NICs. After a few proccess kills the NICs were detected and drivers installed just in time beofre the automatic reboot by winodws becuase the RPC service failed to start. After the reboot things seem to be fine...now let me try and mess it up again and reinstall the Cisco VPN Client. heh...

Its been good since. Thats what worked for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.