Windows XP Home: System tool not working

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ejr, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

In XP you should be able to click on System Tools, then click on System Information to get a list of the processor, memory, etc.

When I click on that, my system does nothing.

Any ideas as to how to fix?

2. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Go to Start > Run, type msinfo32 , then press Enter.

If "System Information" comes up, all you're dealing with is a 'broken' shortcut in Start Menu. Simply repair it by once again making it point to Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe

If not, and if the file should in effect be missing you can easily restore it from your Dllcache folder or the Setup CD-Rom

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

XP SP2 here and while I have not used "System Information" in quite awhile....I did notice just now that it took approximately 3 minutes for the System Information icon to appear in the systray :doubt:

Just curious....after you select "System Information"....do you also notice HelpCtr.exe in TaskManager as a running process and initially is it consuming a pretty good chunk of system resources ?

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Í'm not at my own computer right now, but here as well as at home Sysinfo32 takes only a few seconds to lauch.

And yup, I do have HelpCtr.exe (and HelpSvc.exe) running, but HelpCtr.exe doesn't seem too greedy here (around 18,000 kb), about as much as Outlook, Outlook Express or Nod32krn.exe.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Mine does also now :D

It took me a bit but I finally remembered I had loaded Eric's IE-Spyad file the other day when assisting an individual concerning IE 7 loading slow. It turned out the 22,000 Restricted Site entries was definelty causing a slow load. In the case of Sysinfo....it has that Internet Settings\Internet Explorer section and I'll assume those 22,000 entries effects it also because as soon as I removed those 22,000 entries....Sysinfo popped right up :eek: :D

Thanks ejr for starting this thread and to Tony for checking his resources :thumb:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  6. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Problem fixed. Mine was because I had run a registry cleaner or something similar that either broke the shortcut or removed a registry entry. I went to the MVPS website. Found the people that are experts on Windows XP and downloaded a VB Script to fix the error. Everything functions correctly now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.