Windows XP built-in zip problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by adrianyujs, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rootyb

rootyb Registered Member

I've got no clue what you're tryin to say right here.

2. adrianyujs

adrianyujs Registered Member

After you have built in zip problem, you cannot try on that computer, try on a computer which built in zip is working. Try boot on safe mode, see whether built in zip is working or not under safe mode.

3. adrianyujs

Dear all buddy, I already tried it, built in zip still working under safe mode.

4. Antares

Antares Registered Member

Hi, same problem here: about a week ago, my XP SP2 PC has apparently lost the ability to drag and drop files out of a zip and into the desktop or any other uncompressed folder; same thing with copy/paste. But I've found more than once that after restarting the PC, the extracted file suddenly shows in the destination folder or desktop. Using an external program as Winrar or Winzip (extracting files) works fine. Hope somebody cand find a solution; tried the SFC proposal, got no errors. I was thinking of formatting and reinstalling (anyway, more than one year whitout formatting is more than enough to make any Windows system with a moderate activity go nuts)

Thanks, and excuse my english.

5. adrianyujs

Did you install any application before the problem? or maybe you can try System Restore.

6. Antares

Hi, adrianyjus. I can't remember of any particular program installed at that time, but then, I've only noticed the problem when I've tried to extract a file from a zip, and from two weeks ago, I may have installed three or four programs, none related to compressed files (I've been busy expanding my local wireless net with a Pocket PC and to test it, I've installed some freeware programs on it with Active Sync trhough the net).

After my previous post, I've deleted my temp file in Documents and settings\user\local config, and I have found a folder with a very long name that I could not delete until I have renamed it to a short one. I hoped that the problem would be a lock in the temp folder, but after deleting the entire folder, the problem is still there.

Also, I have followed the thread and tested the solutions proposed, none works for me. And with system restore, I haven't tried it yet, it's the next-to-last solution I will try, before the complete formatting of the hard drive.

Anyway, were you not who started the thread? I imagine that you have tried yourself system restore, is it so?

7. adrianyujs

No, because when i setup the windows xp already, i disable the system restore because i want save more hard disk space.
    And you say "Documents and settings\user\local config", you should try "Documents and settings\ADMINISTRATOR\local settings". And inside the local settings folder, delete the "TEMP" folder. See working or not.

8. adrianyujs

And some people say it is registry problem, some problem solve and some not. So, try use RegSeeker and check got invalid registry or not, then remove all the error. And before do that, perform a registry backup, regseeker got this function.
    But mine not working after cleaning the registry. And please don't forget MUST restart the windows.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  9. Antares

In the administrator\...\temp folder, there is only a file, dated from 2004, with a normal (short) name and only 163 kB. In the user folder, there was 1,3 GB of data, that I was unable to purge with XP utilities or even with Ashampoo, so I decided to delete the files the old way (attrib + delete).

Now I think the problem is not related to the temp folder, but have no idea of what causes it.

10. adrianyujs

Try post 108.

11. Antares

Tried. Also tried regcleaner. Nope, still does not work. I'm finished for today, it's nearly five in the morning here. Thanks for the support, I'll return tomorrow, fresher, I hope.

12. ok sorry i never got back real soon...i pretty much just sed screw it and i now have it set so all zip folders open with winrar insted of the built in thing...
    i compleatly forgot about this place...i stumbled onto the link i saved when i was digging thru all the junk text files on my desktop...

it just pisses me off that windows dose this crap...gets bogged down and "wears out" or "rots" and parts break after so long...things like this shoudent go wrong...its SOFTWARE for crying out loud...we expect things like cars to wear out after so much use...but software thereticly should work perfectly for ever...

O well...i got around it with winrar...maybe vista will be better...ir il eventualy use osx or linux...

BTW my built in IMAPI cd burning program mysteriously quit working the same way as my zip problem...but nero saved the day there...

13. adrianyujs

I still haven't format my PC, can anyone help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.