Windows XP Backup vs Acronis TI Home V10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by martyk4vm, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martyk4vm

martyk4vm Registered Member

What does Acronis TI Home V10 do that Windows XP Backup does not do?

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

ATI will make a backup of an entire hard drive into one file, and image file, which can be restored to another hard drive. It will also Clone drive A to drive B and drive B will then be able to do exactly what A does - meaning be bootable if A is your bootable drive.

3. martyk4vm

Once I have the backup done, all in one file, on an external HD, can I then restore parts of my C drive from this backup? OR if I have a problem, do I have to restore it ALL?

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You can restore an entire partition (the whole drive if there is only the one C partition) or just a single file or folder or a selection of files and folders.

5. martyk4vm

Great. That is what I thought I had read somewhere, but I am not sure. Short memory here.
    Thanks. :doubt:

6. dheijl

dheijl Registered Member

If you mount an image file (you can do this from the explorer context menu) you can explore it just like any other disk partition and extract files with Windows Explorer etc...

Danny
    ---

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The key diff is that a backup program like win backup is really only meant for data files -- it can't handle operating system files.

ATI will take the OS, the boot record, the whole nine yards and let you restor some or all of it to the same or a diff disk. ATI is security against a harddisk failure and omse fo the wonky things that can get your software all out of sorts so bad you need to revert to an earlier time.

8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The built-in windoze backup is a watered down file-based backup.
    image based backup is better.
    do not know why anybody would want to use a file based backup.
    If you do want to use a file based back, get a proper product such as Retrospect.

9. martyk4vm

Thanks one and all for the help. Someday I'll get it figured out.

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

All the inlcuded goodies in Win are stipped down this or that. The 'defragger works buts there much better stuff one can get if one buys separates.

Sure you can get better backup stuff than what's included with Win, but for some folks, it's all they need --like maybe their pc is on a work network and there's no problem getting the disk reimaged but one needs to have the data files up-to-date or closer at hand. Why pay for more software when you don't need it?

For some, jsut doing a copy command or zipping is adequate and even the wwin backup program is overkill.

Diff folks have diff needs and diff sized pocketbooks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.