Windows XP 64bit, ESET Smart Security and Ntune = BSOD

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by caintry_boy, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caintry_boy

caintry_boy Registered Member

Hi all, I'm a newbie to ESET and my friend an I are experiencing this problem.
    Got a friend who just "upgraded" to XP 64bit. Yesterday we installed a new Intel E8400 CPU on his motherboard, and purchased a subscription to ESET Smart Security v3.0.650.0, antivirus/firewall/antispam suite.
    His specs are: eVGA NF680i mobo, E8400, 4Gb PC2 6400 RAM, 8800GT Superclocked vid card all on Air and Windows XP x64.

Problem is this, after installing the Smart Security suite, he ran Ntune to "fine tune" his Nvidia system. On startup Ntune gave a BSOD, this has never happened before so we uninstalled Ntune and reinstalled. On startup Ntune opened and he could do what he wanted, but after a reboot on opening Ntune we get the BSOD again.

A reinstall of Ntune works every time, but opening Ntune after a reboot gets a BSOD.

Message on the BSOD says the usual stuff with these errors......
    0x0000003B (0X00000000C0000096, 0xFFFFFADF8E233AB7, 0xFFFFFADF8C5CB080,0x0000000000000000
    nvoclk64.sys - Address FFFFFADF8E233AB7 base at FFFFFADF8E232000 Datestamp 46de13d9

Ideas or suggestions?? o_O

2. Aug

Aug Registered Member

I guess my troubleshooting would be:

1) Ensure the system was not overclocked in the BIOS (use the default settings with the exception of you mem timings and voltage).
    2) Be certain as to whether ESS plays a role in the crash. So all was working well (with and without ntune before ESS)? Only after the ESS install you had the problem?
    3) Is the BSOD happening only when running the tuning feature of the ntune utility?

If you still experience the crash without ESS my suggestion is to ditch nTune in favor of Rivatuner if you're interested in VC overclocking and use the BIOS for the rest. In working with ntune in the past, I know I would get a BSOD as the utility was pushing the system to get the aggressive settings and then again occasionally on the reboot (though this was using XP 32bit).

If you can confirm that ESS is certainly part of the culprit to this problem (i.e. it can only be recreated if it is installed), you'd probably need to followup with Eset support as I'd think they'd like to know (even if the crash resides with an nvidia component).

3. caintry_boy

caintry_boy Registered Member

Thanks Aug!
    a. He never overclocks anything. I set up the stock speeds in BIOS and they've been triple checked.
    b. nTune ran fine before ESS, as did the whole system.
    c. After nTune has been run for the first time, on the second go-round, it never gets to open completely before BSOD....
    d. Got a message in to ESET support, waiting for an answer.

:)

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We'd need to get a complete memory dump from BSOD. perhaps he could remove some memory modules temporarily to reduce the dump size.

5. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

So he is just launching the program and not actually making any changes? none - nothing on the mobo, video card like SLI, no RAID changes etc? I am on Vista Ultimate x64 with ESS 650 with no issues however I was on x86 VU with ESS as well as nTune. that program is very picky - does he have the x64 versions installed of ESS and nTune? If ESS is the culprit, try turning off Application Modification protection within ESS and see if that makes a difference and ensure you have the latest version of nTune for x64 - get it off the nVidia website and not the mobo vendors site....

for the record if attempting to get comfortable with BIOS settings to overclock, using nTune is not recommended buy anyone that is serious about overclocking - its auto tune feature crashed my machine (a hang not BSOD) while on x86 VU so I just removed it - it was very good at letting you see all the settings that needed to be changed while you were in the OS and reading articles on what to do but other than looking via nTune, tweaking the BIOS is the preferred method.

6. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Yes,
    Ntune crashed my system too, it's a piece of sh.. I've a nForce 500 SLI based mobo and I've the processor overclocked from 3600+ x2 @1,9 to 4600+ x2 @2,4.
    I don't think ESS is the culprit. Here ntune crashed upon the startup of the program and later not. It's random and I think it was coincidence. This program also produced BSOD and crash. Some nForce chipset like mine are very sensitive to read temperatures so that can be the cause of the BSOD at the start of the program.
    The best method to overclock as shansmi said is using BIOS. Is the most stable too.

Anyway is a good idea to send the dump file to ESET to discard an ESS problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.