windows wont start after uninstalling NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Eclipse99fwb, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eclipse99fwb

Eclipse99fwb Registered Member

Sorry for the length, just wanted to give as much information as I could.

Ok I was helping a customer who had installed LinkScanner Pro after already having NOD32 2.7 on his computer. He had the normal no internet problem. So I had him go ahead and uninstall NOD32, using Add/Remove. When it went to restart, it seemed like the computer got hung up. He did a manual shutdown. All went well, he got back into windows, he went back to the Add/Remove program, but it seemed to be taking awhile to load up the list of programs. I had him just run the LSP repair/remove program. Again the computer seemed to get hungup during the shutdown/restart part. He again manual shutdown. Again he got back into windows, I had him remove both the Eset folder and ExpLabs folder, then I had him run the winsock repair. He went to restart same thing happened, this time however the computer got to the Windows screen, but wouldn't go no further.
    It was on I believe a Toshiba Laptop, XP, it came up with some message saying the fingerprint scanner need to be plugged in. I've never messed with one, so I don't have a clue what need to be done, as far as that message. He said he has had no problems, up until he installed LSP after NOD32.
    I've never heard of this happening with this problem, normal everything goes find uninstalling and reinstalling in the correct order. The only thing I can think of is, the uninstall didn't complete due to the hang up, and maybe some files are left in the Reg. that need to be cleaned up. Anybody got any ideas I could try.

2. Eclipse99fwb

Eclipse99fwb Registered Member

okay update: The customer booted into safe mode, and did a system restore to yesterday (before he installed LinkScanner), still though it hangs up on startup. He can go into safe mode fine, just not all the way into Windows. Any help would be greatly apppericated, cause now I'm really lost as to what is going on.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, this is not a NOD32 issue.

You can try the following to check for missing or damaged files within Windows:

1. From the Start menu, select Run.

2. In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)

3. Select the OK button.

4. Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.

5. Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Failing the above I would suggest repairing Windows as described in the following link: http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.