Windows won't load

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tcjohnsson, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcjohnsson

tcjohnsson Registered Member

I am a big-time newbie so please don't mind my ignorance. I have a Sony laptop that crapped out on me. The hard drive is still good but the motherboard is dead. It's out for repair as of this morning and probably won't be done for about 3 weeks. Before the Sony died, I was doing regular INCREMENTAL back ups to an external hard drive. I went out and bought a budget Toshiba laptop this afternoon. Both the Sony and the Toshiba operate on Windows XP.

I decided to back up the files and folders to my Toshiba and it looked like everything went OK. Then when it was complete and TI asked to reboot, I did so but the screen came on with a VERY low resolution and when I click on my name to logon to Windows this error comes up:

"A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80004005."

When I click "OK", I go back to the logon page with no option from there. I can't get Windows to start up. Did I do something wrong? How can I fix this?

Also, I have another computer - a Compaq, that I purchased recently for my girlfriend. I tried to perform the other option which images the entire hard disk to the new computer drive. And I can't log on to that computer at all. It just keeps going to the screen that allows one to boot in various safe modes, last good configuration or to start windows normally. None of them work. And I go back to the same page after a quick flash of a screen stating that "a problem has occured..." It shows up for just a quick flash and then it goes back to the reboot in safe mode screen.

So I have two computers that don't work, in addition to the one in the shop. Can someone please help me?

Thank you

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I suggest that you read this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306081

CAUSE
    This problem may occur if a file that the Windows Product Activation requires is damaged or missing. This condition may be related to one or both of the following conditions:
    • A third-party backup utility or an antivirus program interferes with the installation of Windows XP.
    • A file that Windows Product Activation requires is manually modified.

Please also read this: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tcjohnsson,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this error?

Could you please clarify if you used Create Backup Wizard or Clone Disk Tool of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in this case?

Please note that most probably the reason for this issue is the difference in hardware between your the Sony laptop and the Compaq computer. Please remember that in order to clone your Windows system to a different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep). However, please note that Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) allows replacing drivers only for Plug-and-Play devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). If a motherboard, processor version, hard disk controller drivers are different (like in your case) Sysprep most likely will not help. Please also note that Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration. Therefore, if you would like to transfer the system to a different hardware we may recommend you to use Acronis Universal Restore. Since you are using Microsoft Windows XP we may recommend you to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation and Universal Restore for Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation.

Acronis Universal Restore available for Corporate version of Acronis True Image only. It is an optional program feature. It should be purchased separately. Additional information can be found in Chapter 3.7 "Acronis Universal Restore" in the Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User Guide. Please visit Acronis online store in order to purchase the product.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.