Windows washer good?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Longboard, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Have just paid for Webroot WW using discount offer that came with SS4 upgrade.

(probably should have trialled first)

V. fancy GUI and lots of built in features.

Is this really any better than my current combo of CCleaner, Easy Cleaner, G-Lock Cleaner, MRU Blaster and Eraser -all free- which I use in various combos at various times.

My adAWARE AND sPYBOT S&d also seem to do a pretty good clean-up.

Occassionally use Norton Sys. Works cleaners.

I Also use RegSeeker and RegScrubXP also both free.

Irealise WW is not full blown cleaner but it seems to have an odd mix and seems to advertise itself as a full "tracks" cleaner along with the free space wiper. The "Bleach" waffle is a bit undergraduate if you get my drift.

Will the WW start up index.dat cleaner clash with the MRU Blaster start up?

Not convinced as yet> :doubt:

Any opinions/comments welcome

Regards.

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

With the tools you already had you could have easily omitted WW. It's nice to have the WW tool to superwipe the harddrive if you are sending it in for repair or replacement. ;)

I use WW for automatic cleaning when I restart/shut down and also for scheduled cleanings at a couple of specific times of the day; however, this is more from a carryover of having purchased it a long time ago before CCleaner came on stream. CCleaner is more easily configured; however, it does not have as many plugins as WW for specialized cleaning of third party software.

I guess the only thing that "bothers" me about freeware is that there is rarely any incentive for the author to just walk away from it which has happened to me several times. JMO...but I use a lot of freeware... ;)

Would I buy WW today...no, not with what's available elsewhere. Keep in mind there is an annual fee on WW to keep it available for new updates and this is over and above the annual fee for SS. :(

3. snowboard

snowboard Registered Member

Yes Webroots Window Washer is a good cleaner that I used to use until I found others that I liked.

All cleaners do differnet cleaning methods to your computer. So it doesnt really matter, but I only use Privacy Guardian and CCleaner. And they do the job for me ;)

Not sure, but I would probably not let Window Washer run at startup. You should run it after you get off the internet or computer.

Regards,

snowboard

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Be very careful with webroot windows washer, I admit to not using it for over 3 years but in the old days it had an option to sweep the registry for 'orphaned dll's' this feature once caused me to format my windows installation!

Take care, and be cautious

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thankyou.
    Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.