Windows was not shut down properly.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stratoc, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Hi, I have asked this on a couple of forums, as it's gone on since I built this pc four years ago! It started when I used Avast! Windows action center reported 'windows was not shut down properly' click technical details and it says " the previous shut down was not expected" nothing further.
    There is nothing in event viewer, no criticals, no kernal power, nothing just endless 'windows was not shut down properly' in action center.
    Here's the deal, I only get it when I instal Kis 2012. any Avast!, Dr Web, my isp (trend). I get it on every shutdown, even when I have twice reinstalled the operating system, with bare essentials (mobo drivers etc)
    It doesn't make any difference wether I'm on standard clocks or over clocked.
    My bios is the latest.
    The only way I can stop this (it doesn't happen on clean boot) is to use Eset Smart or Nod 32 or mse, or use no anti virus.
    There is something hanging on shut down I guess, and in the four years I have had the pc I cannot find out what?
    otherwise the pc is rock solid and very stable, prime 95 can run for 4 days without errors.
    Any ideas to put me out of my frustration?
    Cheers.
    It's Windows 7 hp 64 bit
    Amd 940be @ 3.4gz
    2X2 gb ddr2 8500 ram
    2X samsung F1 500 gig
    MSI diamond
    Nvidia 295gtx.
    Thermaltake 800 wat.

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I know KIS causes it because it stays on until it is the last thing running, and somehow messes up communcation between winlogoff and the event viewer. It doesn't have any practical relevance other than this "error" message is logged though.

3. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

This may not even be close to your problem, but I will share it with you, just in case. I have Windows 7 x64 with avast! installed. For several months the pc refused to shut down frequently and I would have to power it off to shut it down. After several months of trying just about every possible solution I could find on the Internet, I finally found the problem.

I had Acronis True Image Backup program installed and tho I did not use it on my Windows 7 pc, I did use it on an XP Laptop. I merely put on the W7 pc so i could look at the back up for the XP on my external disk when I wanted to. Recently, something I read made me think maybe it was Acronis hanging at shutdown, even tho I didn't think it was running. So, I uninstalled Acronis and sure enough, no more hanging at shutdown!

Even if you don't have Acronis installed, you might check for similar programs which are running in the background unintentionally. I used Process Explorer ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 ) to find Acronis was actually running. Hope this might help you find your actual problem.

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

I guessed, something runs a few seconds longer than it should causing some anti virus to monitor it. The only thing I can guess is ati motherboard drivers, which I need for northbridge usb2 etc. the only other possibility is the antique driver for my creative x-fi which I don't think has been updated since vista!
    I may try the onboard graphics, see if that solves it.
    I never get this error with Eset by the way.
    Is there anyway to kill all processes after, say 1 second or so in windows 7?
    Thanks for the reply.

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Thanks John, there is no issue really. It's just a pet hate! The start up and shutdown counters are within limits, the pc works as it should, event viewer is not even recording an issue. It is just the action center logs. Lol, I spend my life behind this keyboard and just hate something I cannot fix!
    The only third party software I use is 6 drivers and my AV. everything else is microsoft.
    I have 37 running processes, everything Office related is manual start up only. all updaters for adobe and java are disabled. the pc is quite bare bones really. I use the built in back up facility.
    Thanks again guys.

6. stratoc

stratoc Guest

This is after pc has been running all day, a lot of these things (like adobe) are because the programs open

Attached Files:

• ggg.PNG
      ggg.PNG
      File size:
      144.8 KB
      Views:
  7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Where are you getting the drivers and why the 'antique' driver.
    Just guessing at this point. Good luck.
    Hugger

8. Zorak

Zorak Registered Member

Do you run multiple user accounts and if so do you log-off before shutting down? I find if I shutdown directly from within an account I get a shutdown error in event viewer, however if I log-off first and choose shutdown from the welcome screen I get no errors!

I realise your errors are coming from the action centre and not event viewer, but it's still something you may want to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.