Windows Vista

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hezakiah, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit and I'm trying to do a checkdisk and It won't let me because I don't have the Administrator Privileges to do it. Now it's my computer and the only one that uses it. Is there any way to disable or change the privileges thing in my favor? Ive been to the windows site and it's running me around in circles. Thanks.

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

You could try right clicking on CMD (Command Prompt) and select Run as Administrator then run the chkdsk command from there?

3. Hezakiah

Thanks Franklin for the reply, but I confess I have no clue how to do that. :doubt:

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello Hezakiah,
    1.type cmd in to the search box at the bottom of the start menu.
    2. right click cmd.exe at the top of the start menu and click run as administrator.
    3. to run CHKDSK on volume c and repair any errors found type the following.
    CHKDSK C: /F

it will then say CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. would you like to schdule this volume to be check next time the system restarts ? Y/N

to check press Y.
    next time you reboot your computer it will run the chkdisc.

hope this helps.

btw when you try to run chkdisc via the gui it should bring up a UAC prompt eiether with just an ok of cancel button or the need to type in password as well.

you didnt disable uac did you?

5. Hezakiah

Thanks lodore that worked. But I'm still having a problem with Diskeeper. I am doing a manual defrag on my Vista machine and it's only at 60% after 4 days straight. And the people at Diskeeper are slow with the help, Any ideas why it's so slow?

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Hezakiah,
    how fragmented was the drive at the start and how much data?
    have you used an older version diskeeper before? if so which version and how long did that version take to do manual defrag at roughly same fragmented percentage?
    I have email address of some people from diskeeper that may be able to help.
    I will send you a pm tonight with the details.

7. Hezakiah

Hi lodore, yeah I have used Diskeeper for a long time now and have always been happy. I haven't had it on my new computer (this one) before. But on my last rig, it would defrag in an hour or so. This machine is "very heavily fragmented". Perhaps the first defragging will take awhile and after with the auto defragger on, it will stay clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.