Windows/Vista x64 setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kees1958, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Got a few questions to explain x64 all freebie MS based setup on Vista or Windows7 using Sully's PGS to implement SRP

This is what you need
    1. Windows 7 FireWall control, it is a freebie to set Vista/Windows firewall up working 2-way (including outbound)
    http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

2. Norton UAC Tool (only when you run Vistax64, Windows 7 has an option to silently elevate user initiated UAC prompts)
    http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=labs_uac&header=0&depthpath=0

3. Sully's Pretty Good Security
    http://mrwoojoo.com/PGS/PGS_index.htm
    Make sure setings are as shown in tab SRP manager (see pic) Remove LNK from the Executables Types list

Setup Path rules tab (see pic)
    Make sure you enter for denied:
    - any extra harddrives or partitions in denied (radio button Deny, Radio button Path, plus Path name = D:\)
    - C:\Users\Public
    - C:\Users\[USER] in this example Kevin
    - C:\ProgramData

Allowed is tackled by UAC defaults, so no need to enter here something

Restricted
    - WOW starts from Public, so I have set this Restricted,

4. Create an dedicated installation directory in C:\Program Files (x86), see pic
    Some installers download stuff or expand to Temporary folders, just temporarely change deny status of Cl\Users\[USER in thi sexample Kevin] to ALLOW.

5. My Son's preferred Anti Virus (claims most crispy feel during gaming is MSE).
    See Wilders other antivirus for download.

6. Make sure you have UAC on.

7. Download Hitman Pro (freebie x64) and run it on every startup
    http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads

What have you realised
    a) a Deny Execute of the user space (with PGS), see environmental variables explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable
    b) run all other C:\Windows, C:\Programs Files and PF (x86) under UAC
    c) use Win7 setting or Norton UAC tool (remembering your choice) to enhance effect of UAC elevation prompt (reduce the number of, so it becomes a real warning signal in stead of a habit of clicking allow)
    d) UAC will warn you when you move a installer from Downloads directory to your newly created installation directory

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. MagisDing

MagisDing Registered Member

Great Thread!:thumb: Really a inspiration for the people(like me) who is using or going to use 64 bit Vista or Win7;)

3. Kees1958

Well Sully, Tlu, Mrkvonic, ZopZop and Lucy earn more credits, see the thread in software and services section. Sully made it very simple with PGS.

Thrown in Iron for daily surfing and IE8 with Keyscrambler (x32) in protectedmode (plu scross site scripting defense), use OpenDNS and you have a pretty good security setup based on freeware.

Regards Kees

4. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Kees, I just recently got a 64 bit machine. I'm using KIS 2009 and Prevx for security. Will get the Norton UAC Tool that you mentioned.

How do you think that security setup is for the 64 bit?

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Format and reinstall a 32 bit system then use Sandboxie and Returnil for real freedom and complete safety.

But if you just wanna stare at your screensaver all day then use Kees' setup. ;)

6. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

Good post, Kees. PGS looks to have developed into a real handy tool for hacking SRP on systems that lack the Group Policy Editor. :thumb:

Yeah, if you want the "freedom" of only using 4 gigs of RAM, do exactly that. If you want more RAM, well, 64-bit Windows for you. :)

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Great (short) post for a change Windchild.

I actually stayed awake reading it and at least my monthly download limit just may pan out a bit longer. :D

8. Kees1958

Adopted from gone wth the wind: Franklin my dear I do not give a damn :p

9. Kees1958

Seems suffucient to me.

10. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Thanks. I was trying to make sense of the thread about 64 and anti-malware and my head almost exploded. lol (not from the conversation but of trying to understand what everyone was saying).

So, wanted to make sure I had a sufficient setup for my new 64bit machine.

11. Kees1958

Yep old age has it price.

:p

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Actually if you are using LUA (which you appear to be) then anything which you run is already at the same level as the Basic User setting. So you really don't need that radio button enabled. I suppose it does not hurt though.

I will be revamping PGS this fall with some new features (Tlu style) and will fix it's issues with 7 when it goes out in October. I don't see the point in modifying it until 7 is realized. What do you think about the inclusion of an AppLocker front end for 7 as well?

Sul.

13. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Kees, another question. Would adding Win Patrol be redundant or useful? From what I've read on here, seems that Win Patrol and Prevx 3 do similar things?

14. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

they do not do similar things at all. far from it. WinPatrol is more of a notification tool to system changes and such while prevx is an actual antimalware/BB. use both i say.

15. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Like I was saying, they do nothing similar. lol That's why I always stop here before I go try/don't try something. :)

That leads me to ask another question, would the free Win Patrol be enough or should I splurge for the paid version(I would trial it first, of course, but in the end, is the paid version worth it?)

16. firzen771

IMO its not a necessity but at the price it is and considering its lifetime license id say get the paid version for the extra features. but ud be fine with free as well.

17. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Thanks, firzen. Much appreciated. I'll try it out tonight.

18. firzen771

np. and im sure ull find it a useful resource as i do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.