Windows Vista Firewall vs. McAfee Firewall vs. Zonealarm Free Edition

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Gecko, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gecko

Gecko Registered Member

Which of the three have the best protection? Which of them slows down your connection the least? If I get Zonealarm pro, will I be able to turn off it's antispyware component? Thanks for your help.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Get ZoneAlarm AntiVirus if you are running Vista. Pay close attention to the crosses in this table.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

If you run ZA on Vista your choices are either the free version or the full security suite with AV and AS. You can turn off both the AV and AS components, but you have to pay for them. The free version is hardly worth bothering with if leak test results worry you. IMO, the Vista firewall is pretty decent, although it is difficult to set up if outbound filtering is desired.

4. AKAJohnDoe

Not true.

Look at my previous post in this thread and examine the chart referenced in the link.

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

OK, the landscape changed a bit since the release. All I can tel you is I ran ZASS on Vista and was not happy with it. Vista is a bit slow and bloated to start with, and some security software only makes things worse. Based on a 6 month run with Vista (I am back with XP these days), I got the best results with Avira Classic and the Vista firewall, leaving Defender and UAC enabled to cover spyware. Its also a good idea to enable SRP, but that might not be available on all versions of Vista.

6. AKAJohnDoe

And if you are running Vista paying close attention to those crosses and the footnotes associated with them shows a clearer picture.

Essentially, the majority of the features in ZASS do not exist in the Vista version.

I am running ZAAV under Vista because it is the fullest set of real features, the lowest price, and the full Firewall (with Program Control) and it runs quite well on my Vista notebook.

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ok,

There are a lot serious firewalls, but Vista's own firewall is not bad at all. When you want lean, free and simple this is the one for you: VistaFireWallControl 1.2 It uses the Vista Fire Wall 'engine'. You can turn of VistaFireWall after instaling VFWC 1.2

Off course when you want more control, more rules, more filter options the freeware version is to simple.

Regards Kees

8. Gecko

Gecko Registered Member

Wow...I installed Comodo, and everything was really laggy. So I went to DSLreports.com and ran a speed test. My download speed was 50 times slower than usual! I should have just kept my malfunctioning McAfee! Does anyone know a firewall that doesn't slow down my download speeds?

9. fax

fax Registered Member

ZA does not slow down connections (here)... have you tried it?

Fax

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  10. Gecko

Gecko Registered Member

Fax, are you sure I won't have any lag? Because I'm not spending $40 on it otherwise.

11. AKAJohnDoe

-50x? I would probably clear all browser cache, reboot, and retry the test. If consistently -50x, I would uninstall (or at least disable) Comodo, clear all browser cache again, reboot again, and retry it. Not that I'm a fan of Comodo (I'm not), but -50x is hard to pin on any firewall.

12. AKAJohnDoe

You can try ZA for free for what, 15 days? 30 days?

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Always test before buying.... there is a 15 days trial on all ZA products.
    15 days should be enough to test for major problems.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.