Windows Vista: Built in HIPS?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ejr, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

While watching the MAC commercial that pokes fun at the PC, the last commercial seems to indicate that Vista now comes with some sort of HIPS. Going on-line, I see that what they are referring to is the User Account Control in Vista.

Can anyone explain what this is? Good feature?

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    This thing means you have to do 2x as many steps to achieve anything you were used to before. Nothing more. Nothing less. It's as hipsy as an old grandma's kevlar prosthetic.
    Mrk

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Is it actually any extra protection (I have not used Vista yet), or is it just a widget/applet to configure/use existing security (of the NT/2k/xp platform) ?

To be more technical from a hacker/attacker point of view does it reduce the the number of angles of attack, or is it purely user stuff to try and prevent them running unwant crud ?

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I think it might be a nice feature and from what I´ve read I understand that if you are used to responding to alerts from your HIPS, you won´t find UAC really that annoying. Of course I don´t know if you can fine tune UAC to alert only about certain stuff, I think Symantec is working on this. However, I´ve also read that UAC might be easily bypassed, so I would still use a HIPS. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.