Windows user account curiosity

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by trial and error, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trial and error

trial and error Registered Member

When I built my first pc the friend that showed me how told me to always keep the administrators account running. His reasoning was that av software among others that needed full access, would have it this way. I can accept that but, I usually leave my ltd acct on and go to the admin's for installs and a full security scans. If only the limited account is left on any programs except for updaters could run to the extent they needed right? o_O

Not sure there is an answer to this one. Opinions anyone?

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'm not entirely sure what your friend means, but there should be no reason to work full time in the administrator account. Your av program should work perfectly fine from the limited account, and running in the administrator account is asking for potential trouble (mainly amlware infections) unless you really know what you're doing.

I'd say you've got it right :)

3. trial and error

This was back when Xp first came out, he said to log-on the admin acct before going to mine and leave it running in the background all the time. He explained user accts to me then, I see no reason to deviate from that.

I had just wiped out and reinstalled a laptop for a friend (all his accts were admins + expired av) and that question popped in my head again.
    Thanks wat0114!

4. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

In short, he was wrong about leaving the admin account 'running in the background all the time'. Any AV software would run its scanning and updater components in the SYSTEM user account, so it doesn't matter who's logged in and with what privileges - the AV will scan and update anyway, unless it's just plain poorly made. There is no reason to leave the admin account logged in with Fast User Switching. Use a limited user account for normal browsing, email, office work, things like that. Use the admin account for installing trusted software and updates that need installing, and for performing other admin tasks like creating new accounts. Simple as that. :)

5. trial and error

Thanks Windchild, :thumb: that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.