Windows Updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by btman, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btman

btman Registered Member

Can't get Windows Updates as my clock is wrong and says it correctly synces (Then it lists the last time) but when I try to sync it manually it says it cannot sync to time.windows.com... Any easy fixes?

2. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Months ago, I too had problems synchronizing my time using time.windows.com and time.nist.gov. I tested time.windows.com today and it works. If for some reason it stops working, try these Internet time servers,

time-a.nist.gov
    time-b.nist.gov

thanatos

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Make sure you have both a language, and time zone selected for your locale (yes, reaffirm these back in setting's). Then confirm none of your security app's are blocking (as I recall) udp (possibly tcp) port 123. There are a few other item's to zero in on but these are the most common.

Steve

4. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

You might also want to check in [GLOW="green"]Window's Services[/GLOW] to be sure [GLOW="green"]Windows Time[/GLOW] service is running, if it isn't you won't be able to sync. Also, be sure no security programs are set to disable time synchronization service in their settings. For instance, if you use AVG Antispyware go to the [GLOW="green"]Tools[/GLOW] tab and then [GLOW="green"]Antispy[/GLOW] tab and be sure that [GLOW="green"]disable time synchronization service[/GLOW] is not checked.

5. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

My time does the same but I find if I continually keep trying it eventually updates, it sometimes takes about 10 goes

6. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

It's very rare that I can get my computers to synchonize with either of the time sync services. Most often, it saya an error occurred. Like Texcritter, if I have the time and am feeling stubborn I can persist for a dozen or so times until it does.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for that, I wondered why I couldn't time sync.

My firewall is indeed blocking UDP 123. It was set as default, I presume for a good reason?

I take it the best course of action would be to unblock, sychronize and reblock?

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

"It was set as default, I presume for a good reason?"

Not necessarily. As I see it the bulk of internet user's would prefer their security app's do nothing more than perform as advertised, and without intervention. That is until, those same 'protective' default's get in the way.

It appear's OP Administrator 'David' has some practical advice to offer when addressing expected traffic on that port.

A bit more on alternate port usage provided by NIST - http://tf.nist.gov/service/firewall.htm

Aboard XP? You can use net time /setsntp:ntp_server_name_or_ip_address to quickly configure alternate SNTP server's, net time /domain /set /y to *force* a time update.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I take it the best course of action would be to unblock, sychronize and reblock?"

Stem as you may be aware has setup a useful thread for just such question's. ;)

Steve

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for all the information Global Force.

Unblocked, tried 6 times, 7th worked then reblocked.

A result.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.