Windows Updates Breaking Applocker?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CrusherW9, Oct 2, 2015.

1. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

So I had Applocker setup and running on my previous Windows install and at one point it stopped working. I never bothered looking into why; I figured it I did something dumb and broke it by messing with some other setting. I just reinstalled Windows today since I just made a SSD Raid-0 array :cool: and I had everything setup perfectly with Applocker and the Applocker patch installed and working. I left the Windows updates as the last phase of this install since I thought they might have been a cause. Turns out, I might be right because I updated to latest and now my Applocker doesn't work anymore. Has anyone experienced this before and maybe know how to fix this?

2. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Alright so I did a little investigation on this and it looks like Applocker is actually working. In order to test this, I ran an exe in a folder on my desktop. In Event Viewer under the Applocker folder, it logs an information event that says "%OSDRIVE%\USERS\*user*\DESKTOP\GPU BIOS MODDING\MAXWELLBIOSTWEAKER.EXE was allowed to run." And if I make deny rule for that EXE effecting everyone, it registers an Error event that says "%OSDRIVE%\USERS\*user*\DESKTOP\GPU BIOS MODDING\MAXWELLBIOSTWEAKER.EXE was prevented from running."

So now I'm thinking there's something weird going on with my accounts' privileges level. It is an admin account but I have UAC on the default setting. I just verified my user accounts and groups against another PC I have with Applocker running fine (With all updates, too) and everything looks ok there. There must be something dumb I'm changing during setup that is breaking something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.