Windows Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I will try that too. I'm already downloading it. Thanks. :)

EDIT:
    Well, Blink was very usefull.

The "Blink Endpoint Vulnerability Assessment Report" was very scaring : a sky-high red bar of high risk vulnerabilities and a printer out of inkt.

However the "Blink Virus and Spyware Scan Report" said "No malware has been detected!".

So I'm vulnerable, but I'm malware-free. It's very confusing. :blink:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I think a lot of the vulnerabilities may have more to do with the corporate environment and may not be such a risk for a home user. I definitely had a lot vulnerabilities when i scanned my system and i had to do a bit of research to figure out what the heck they were talking about for many of them lol!

3. ErikAlbert

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer is indeed better than Belarc Advisor, because MBSA reported 1 missing security update, while BA told me I was "up-to-date", which wasn't true.

MBSA's report was positive, except for one thing : automatic Windows Update feature is DISABLED on my computer, which is necessary in my frozen system.

IMO something is wrong with BA regarding "Services". I have the right settings for "Services" and I still get red crosses.
    BA isn't really userfriendly either and doesn't always tell what users have to do exactly to get rid of the red crosses. BA has still alot to learn and I know this software already from the beginning 2 years ago. Never paid attention to it, until now. :)

4. controler

controler Guest

I am not sure but when Blink Personal find a flaw it adds a rule for it. I haven't used it that long but looks good for the price. Wonder how much better the Pro version is. It actualy also found a trojan in my firefox cash LOL

5. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I have the same problem with the "telnet" service, but i know it's off, so it's no big deal.

Lamehand

6. ErikAlbert

Belarc Advisor can't be trusted or it has bugs or it isn't efficient enough. I'm using it already more than a week and I don't like it and it doesn't help me either due to bad analyse. I'm going to ditch it and keep MBSA until I find something better.
    Blink is a security suite and it has indeed a function to find vulnerabilities, but then I have to install Blink. I don't want scanners on my computer.

@Controler
    I put Firefox in its original "unused" state during each reboot, including its cache and that means that no malware can survive in Firefox itself or in its cache.
    Also DefenseWall considers Firefox Cache as "untrusted", which is enough to save the period between two reboots.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Just a quick note, about another option to check your security updates:
    Microsoft Qfecheck.exe.

It works the robust way, though (command line)

qfecheck.jpg

8. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

What happens if this checker finds 'missing' updates?
    Can one then download and install the missing KBxxxxx?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.