Windows Update Warnings in NOD32 - Question

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by J-Mac, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Having just upgraded my computer to Windows 7 and also from NOD32 v.3 to v.4, I noticed this morning that the tray icon turns yellow and the warning is that my operating system doesn't have all its updates installed. Theere is also a link to show me what updates are outstanding.

I see a problem in that the only outstanding updates are "recommended" updates, namely a few hardware drivers. I do monitor my hardware drivers and there are some that I intentionally do not install because they are brand new and some users are known to be having issues with them. I always try to wait until a more stable driver is available. In some cases that might not happen for a long time. In other cases I am using a third party driver that is more effective than the manufacturer's driver. Is there any way to change the level of updates that NOD32 monitors? The drivers in question here are not safety or security related. I know that I can turn off the Windows Update notifications about these driver updates but I like to see what is available so I can decide whether or not to install them.

As for the true Windows Updates marked Critical and Important, I also usually wait several days before installing those to give me time to see if there are any major "Oopses" with them - I have gotten burned in the past with problemsome updates and once was stuck for two weeks waiting for a corrected update because the previous one could not be uninstalled. However I don't mind having the NOD32 warning for those. But I would really like to disable the warnings for the optional updates. Any way to do that?

Thank you.

Jim

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

3. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

In that KB, I believe the default notification is for Common Updates. Try bumping it up to Important or Critical and see if it drops the ones you don't care about.

4. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Wonderful. You folks were awfully quick with the answer!

This was very much appreciated! Thank you both!

Jim

PS - Since I just installed it I neglected to do my due diligence and go through the Settings more carefully; I should have seen that right off. I am just so accustomed to knowing the locations of every setting in NOD32 v.3 by heart that I made that foolish assumption that this one hadn't changed much from a Settings standpoint.

I apologize for the "dimwitted-ness"!

Thanks again. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.