Windows Update status shouldn't be cleared so easily

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by Whissi, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whissi

Whissi Registered Member

Hi,

NOD32 v4 is monitoring the Windows Update status.
    For example, if WU is reporting, that updates are missing, NOD32 v4 will change the protection status.

The problem is, that it is enough to just launch WU thorugh the NOD32 v4 UI to set the protection status back to "Maxium protected". NOD32 v4 will not check, if you really run WU/ask the WU services if everything is okay now. For NOD32 v4 it is enough, that it just launched WU...

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't know exactly when it re-checks but I am sure that early or later the program will re-check the status and will again notify that a update is actually missing.

3. Whissi

Whissi Registered Member

Yes, it will re-check.

But I think it would be better to stay at the "unsecure" status, until WU reports everything is okay.

4. louise2005

louise2005 Registered Member

This could take away our freedom to choose which Windows updates we want to install and which we prefer to leave behind.

For example, when I installed v 4, it listed the Malicious stuff update and I don't want to install that.

Fortunately, I went directly to Windows update rather than through NOD, chose what I wanted, which did include all the "critical" updates, installed those, and that seemed to satisfy NOD. I hope it lasts.

In fact, I run with Windows automatic updates turned off and I only turn them on every so often when I want to run an update. Then I turn it back off. I don't want Windows installing anything I haven't knowingly and deliberately chosen.

Louise

5. Whissi

Whissi Registered Member

No!

NOD32 asks the Windows Update service. So when you don't want to install an update, you would "hide" it in your Windows Update and your status would be "good".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.