Windows update site error

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jooske, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi all,
    trying to update from the windows update site get this error all time, telling some files or settings are no valid windows ... something.

I see nothing strange on the files mentioned so it must be a registry setting maybe but how/where?
    I have those existing files running from ordinary windows own updates so this is rather annoying!

Any ideas? Thanks!

In former occasions i warned MS support but after three months they still haven't bothered in answering at all.

Attached Files:

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Jooske,

Have you tried this?
    http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/troub-22.shtml

Regards,

Pieter

3. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello Everyone

We have a related problem. Everytime we go to the Windows Update page we get this (see attached gif). What settings/changes on this computer must we make to enable the scan?

Attached Files:

4. Q Section

We posted the above not yet reading Pieter's post.

Pieter - your link to Update Corporate will work to make manual updates but....how can we know which updates we have and which ones we need? We know if we check Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Software Environment>Software Updates we can see many updates but perhaps some existing updates incorporate the ones listed on the manual update page?

Thank you.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Pieter, thanks for the link.
    It seems the exact description, only it doesn't function this way.
    The file is downloaded, but i can't locate it, nowhere a 2mb file in the TIF folder, i only get that new temp folder, temporary when it fails to install.
    So i don't get to the original file in no way. It must be somewhere though!
    I tried to copy the content in that temp folder to another folder to prevent losing it, but when clicking the exe files only get they are invalid and can't be run at all.
    It is each time the same since i had those other winupdate site problems i posted time ago, i haven't been ablo to get any proper update due to this same error message each time.
    I hope for a registry repair tip if that could be a solution?
    I wonder where it gets all time that %1 from as unvalid win32-application.
    Could it be i have my security too high somewhere?

It really looks like MS is forcing not XP/NT/2000 users to those systems by simply making the other systems useless with each update or maybe actively damaging them in the way from my screenshot. I hear the same stories all over.

6. Pieter_Arntz

7. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi QSection

try this

becaues i had to do this after the recent outages at windows update sight coz of the blaster worm becaues thay switched server to akamai

if that dont work try removing a248.e.akamai.net from your host file if you are using one

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hiiiiiii! that first link -- are you practising for halloween in stead of Hello Wayne?
    brrrrr no fortunately not.
    I'll study the links better to see if they give some useful info for other situations.
    It was indeed rather complicated and i do hope in future updates it all goes better.
    It went wrong a few times, now last time it seems to have succeeded.
    I had to open a windows explorer window, go to the windows\temp and set a new folder ready there
    Then i went to the TIF folder, after i had cleansed that cache as much a possible via another open browser window.
    After that went back to windows update site, did the d/l and noticed it was really nowhere visible coming in, not in temp, not in d/l files, not in TIF, so i went ready to get waiting into the temp.
    After the d/l windows tries to install the file but can't with that error message from my screenshot above.
    At that moment it creates the mentioned folder in temp with all those install files.
    Now you must hurry:
    open that folder and select them all to copy them into the other new folder you had set ready!
    In the meantime you might get errors and IE closing and more protests, but you saved the files, as you will notice after a few seconds that temp created folder disappeared with all the download, so that's why you had to save it to another place.
    Now open a msdos window and type the line thast error message
    rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection c:\windows\temp\new folder\iesetup.inf

(that c:\..\inf is an example, use your own names of course)
    With this the info file was so nice to start the installation and i was asked to reboot like normally. The folder was not emptied afterwards, of course as it had an unexpected name :)
    I do not see the updates in the browser info, only the SP1 and an older update, all the rest not. Hmm so i do hope they are there and i don't know exactly how to check that. Of course even after the faulty updates the update history told each time the update had succeeded nicely.

Any idea how are other people's experiences, is this a one time difficulty in most cases or will it be this way all time now?

Thanks again for all the links!

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Don't want to make it a miles long posting, so better a new one:
    had not thought of disabling WG, as it never was necessary on my system before.
    I did think i might have my security somewhat too high and should look into allowing MS to update even if certificates might have not the proper signatures, although that might be dangerous, or there might be other places to look at.
    Like said, it all started after some changes on the update site causing me to lower all protection from the firewall for them to be able to even access the site!

10. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I don't want to make myself look a right prune here because what has been said and suggested in this thread I haven't really understood a word.

But since this thread was started by the darling Jooske I have been going to Windows Update site on a number of occasions and it works perfectly for me, no errors, nothing, all the downloads are there for me.

In my address bar I have this:-

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Would it be of any use trying that URL or have I missed the problem totally and your all talking about something else entirely?

Very Best to All, Cochise. :cool:

11. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Jooske,

Yes. Lots of update problems on the forums all around. Especially for those that have protected themselves well. Among others for the reason Bethrezen posted.
    Had to put them in my Trusted Zone (~shivers~)

Here are some MS Knowledge Base articles that discuss WindowsUpdate problems:

Q241234 WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update

WINUP-Problems When Viewing or Downloading From Windows Update

Q241783 WINUP - Errors Using Windows Update Through a Proxy Server or Firewall

Troubleshooting Windows Update Connection and Download Problems

Windows Update Site Lists Updates That You Already Installed

Regards,

Pieter

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Cochise,
    wow what a qualification! :D
    What happened was this:
    see the other thread how i got myself back to accessibility to that updatesite and have it functioning again properly (at least for detecting my system and analysing which updates i need)
    After that i discovered i could try to install any update, but each time failed because of the error from my screenshot above.
    So i just described the way how i solved it for today after printing out the instructions found on Pieter's first link.
    You could try it as a step by step instruction, print it out, try the steps as far as needed to make sure you understand in case ever needed.

Think Pieter is trying the same steps with Q-section to get proper access to the site again. Q-S if i remember well you use ZAPro as well so there might be the problem too for you?

Q-Section, you might have subscribed on the MS security bulletins from their site, so you should get info about necessary updates all time and you can get them following the links there too. But like you i like to double check via the update site.

Not sure if it's just the win9x series users in trouble, or people from not-english windows versions, can be anything.

Have the same v4... address be it with nl for en .

Conchise i do like your smoke signals, what is the message, can't read them yet :)

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Correct Pieter,
    you have to put them in the trusted zone both in IE and via the firewall, allow everything with java, activeX, script, banners, popups, disable privacy protection, allow all persistent cookies, including third party, till now the only thing they allow is blocking bugnosis. They advice to disable download helpers, which are seldom activated anyway as the own site d/l program is activated all time for me.
    And allow all the akamai entries in the HOSTS file as you never know which they use this time (so more easy to temporary rename the HOSTS file when going there and rename it back after the whole operation)

Of course i throw them from the trusted zone after all the stuff is in.
    They ever said bad things about distributed networking but it seems exactly what MS is doing worldwide with the millions of computers everywhere!

Nice collection you posted! From the first article i chose the link for further reading at the bottom of it and came via a chain of articles on this one about improper installs
    here which indicates what all to delete before one could try a new d/l and install.
    In another article about conflicting software it's absolutely shocking to see a whole series of known av/at products they recommend to even uninstall completely before usign the site, the mentioned download helpers --the very much used DAP with all it's spyware was not in that list!!-- and a list of proxies and firewalls to be closed or uninstalled will follow.
    Is this because MS is releasing their own av/at and firewalls and trying again to regain a monopoly against all laws or how must we see this in all reality?
    Like anybody i know it is necessary to close temporary av/at programs during an install, but i never heard about uninstalling them completely!
    Maybe they try to make money from products which are not their field yet to finally teach their coders some real programming?

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Jooske,

Thanks for the reply but I think you may have missed something in the translation LOL, I don't have a problem with the Update Site, it works perfectly for me every time I go there.

The only difference between us is I don't and never have downloaded an Update from that site.

For one thing they frighten the doodads out of me and for another I'm on Dialup and being close to seventy I won't live that long to d/l that lot ROFL.

Like I said I just have to click Start - Windows Update and there it is, just lucky I guess.

Best Regards, Cochise, :cool: :D

PS. I only had Zone Alarm for about a month a long time ago before I knew better, the trouble with ZA I found was it thought it knew better than me and started taking liberties so I shot it and got my lovely lovely "Outpost Firewall" I've never had a problem since.

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Yes Conchise i saw you had no problems accessing and getting the stuff installed, i just liked you to try if you could understand my steps in my moccasins :)

I do the same, in the IE browser > Extra (Tools for you maybe?) > Windows Update and i should get to that site and that is the same you mention > where it should indicate what i need > click > agree with whatever their licese is telling us and without reading it > see d/l and install and sometimes need to reboot if indicated.
    This is how it all SHOULD work. But...... you see the much trouble more people a day have with that.......
    MS is really rebuilding it's arrogant monopoly and sneaking into other very specialized companies area of existence rudely pushing them aside and not giving a dime for unsatisfied customers leaving them without more and more fixes and bigger vulnerabilities by the day.

Several years ago i had frequent contact with the MS helpdesk before they started to ask $50 a question. There i was adviced seriously never to get those updates and just keep with the original system from the install cd-rom as that version was best and easiest to return to in case of crashes. The guys further said not to trust all those updates and fixes as those were completely rubbish.
    Hm, wonder if those guys still worked there after those revealings.
    I would say: important updates for security are to be taken all time, as the real world most certainly doesn't agree with those MS helpers.

Want to read a real story with firewalls? Wherever i come friends ask me to look at their computers and i see terrible security things of course, no av/at, no firewalls, no updates, you name it all.
    One woman: "i never get attacked, never see anything, so what do i need a firewall for, what is it anyway?"
    So i asked her permission to show her real time and to install ZA free. Within a few seconds alert alert alert and of course i showed her to close thoe popups and just look in the log viewer.
    "Oh, without your program i never had those problems, and i don't want them, i really want you to take that program off completely! For i don't want all those strangers snooping in my system!"
    >boink<! My goodness, how can people be so .... o_O!!!
    No av/at either, while the NAV cd-rom came with the computer, but was never installed "it was not clear what it was for", as she never had a virus she thought......

16. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

IYou might have better luck using simething like "bigfix" which gathers all the updates you need for your system .
    I wonder if direct access for wind98 is no longer as microsoft are no longer supporting it . Any ways I use "bigfix" and its great . http://www.bigfix.com/website/index.html
    Its free

17. Q Section

Hello Jooske
    We would not use ZA :eek: if they paid us !
    We only use and recommend Outpost Firewall, thank you very much. :D

We will try the rename host file first and report back.
    Thank you

18. Q Section

And the answer is.................

akamai in the hosts file. We only renamed the hosts file temporarily and tried Windows Update site again. This time it worked.
    Thank you Bethrezen and everyone.

19. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

With the next visit to the WU site the same patch i installed in the alternative way was mentioned as needed again.
    Thought ok go ahead, but same error like before. So the install seems not to have worked correctly.
    Any more ideas?

20. nutzy

nutzy Guest

I was looking for some windows update info, but instead of URL www.microsoft.com I typed www.microsort.com by mistake. I got some sperm separation company! Does anyone know if these two companies are related! ?? o_O :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.