Windows Update Shield Isn't Appearing. What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

I had like 12 new updates for windows updates on my other computer on tuesday, but today, I turned on my other computer and the yellow shield isn't appearing about those new updates. Do you think it's not appearing because my small pet was running over the keyboard last time AS SOON as the yellow shield appeared last time in order to install?? He was running over it just when the yellow shield appeared. Should I force the update by disabling it and turn it on again or what should I do? I still want it to appear from now on and in the future automatically.

2. guest

guest Guest

3. Basic

Basic Registered Member

Not sure what your OS is but on XP you can usually set this up by launching the Control Panel then double clicking Automatic Updates and setting your preferences in that window.

4. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

5. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

For Windows XP, the Windows Update link that guest posted is absolutely the best way to go. From the Control Panel, configure how you want your system to handle updates. Set it to notify you only and let you decide when to download them. When the yellow shield pops up just go to the Windows Update web page and download them from there. You have a lot more options there as far as how you want to manage your updates. You can select Custom and it'll show you details about each one, size, description, etc. Or you can hide an update if you know you don't want it or if you just want Windows to quit bugging you about it until you get around to installing it. In your present situation, you can view your update history and see if they were actually installed. If not, you'll be able to download them from there. That yellow shield isn't always completely reliable. Sometimes it can be a little temperamental. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.