Windows Update Service Currently Disabled

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hotel, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotel

hotel Registered Member

My Internet Security software (Trend Micro) told me that suspicious changes were detected. It says 1 high risk change.

Then it tells me that 1 change was detected to Windows Security Policy settings.

It also says: Windows Update Service Currently Disabled.

I have no idea what the consequences of this are or where to find out.
    Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks!

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi and welcome! Just for reference what version of windows are you running and what were you doing at the time the warning? Have you installed any new software? Were you on the internet? You could also try the support at the link below.
    http://us.trendmicro.com/us/home/index.html

3. hotel

hotel Registered Member

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

Just for reference what version of windows are you running:
    Windows XP

What were you doing at the time the warning:
    Using WS-FTP to upload files to me web site.

Have you installed any new software:
    Only Firefox new version.

Were you on the internet:
    Yes

Link to Trend Micro site:
    Thanks I looked there but nothing found there that pertains to "Windows Update Service Currently Disabled".

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Did you confirm that the service is really disabled? You can do this by clicking Start - Run - then type "services.msc" without the quotes and press enter. Look for 'Automatic Updates' under 'name', then see if the status is 'started' and the 'startup type' is automatic. If it is off and you didn't do it yourself, then it could be malware. Just to be safe, if you haven't already done this, run a full virus and anti-malware scan. There are also other tools you can use to check with that are free on-demand scanners. SuperAntiSpyware is a good one.

I'm not a expert and hopefully someone else will come along with more information. If a service was turned off either by itself or by another program, I would be a little concerned. If any of your scanners finds something, it's a good idea to get help with removing the virus/malware. There are many good places that can help you do this. castlecops.com, and tomcoyote.org are just 2 that I have used, there are many others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.