Windows Update problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by brynn, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brynn

brynn Registered Member

Hi Friends,
    I'm a new ESET Smart Security user (v 3.0.566) and new to this forum as well.

Since installing ESET SS, I've been having trouble getting my Windows Updates. The problem is that the updates can't be downloaded. I've been working with MS tech support on this, and after some troubleshooting, they are now suspecting my firewall as the culprit.

I'm using the Interactive filtering mode, partly because I don't understand what Automatic filtering does, and partly because I do like to know when something new is trying to connect in or out (especially in). So I did get the alert from Windows Genuine Advantage Notification, and created a new rule, allowing its outbound communication. But I haven't gotten any other alerts associated with Windows Updates.

Despite the absense of alerts, I'm still wondering if there is some particular rule I need to create, to allow the Windows Updates to be downloaded. Also, there is a chance that I accidentally blocked some communication, inadvertently. I recently changed from dialup to DSL with a new ISP. And while I was on the phone with my new ISP's tech support, setting it up, I got several alerts from ESET's firewall. Some of them seemed unrelated to what I was doing at the time, and I denied them. So I'm thinking maybe one of them had to do with Windows Updates, but I didn't recognize it.

So my questions for ye wise Wilders folk are:
    -- Specifically what rules do I need to insure are allowed, for Windows Updates to be downloaded?
    -- Or is the proper approach to put the Windows Update servers/IPs into the firewall's Trusted Zone? (Admitedly I don't have a clear understanding of the Trusted Zone for the firewall :doubt:)
    -- Otherwise, do you have any comments or suggestions regarding the ESET firewall and my problem downloading Windows Updates?

Um, I did try searching the Wilders forums for info on this issue, before posting. But I didn't find anything directly related. So my apologies if I'm sounding like a broken record (broken CD, for the youngsters, lol).

Thank you very much for any help or comments :)

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

you are using too old version 3.0.566
    pls uninstall it and download letest v3.0.650 from eset web site
    after installing v3.0.650 tell us if problem still remain

3. brynn

brynn Registered Member

Well it can't be "too" old, it's practically brand new! I don't think it's even been 6 months since I downloaded it!

I don't understand how a newer version would solve the problem, because surely the "older" version had to allow Windows Updates to download, as well. Plus, my updates are current, and should give me relatively similar functionality and protection as the newer version.

I'll be glad to take it under advisement that a newer version is available, but I really would like to make this version work, for now, if possible. Because wouldn't the exact same rules apply to both firewalls?

I'm sorry if I sound difficult, but it kind of annoys me to be told to download a new version to solve a problem, without any attempt to identify the source of the problem, or any clue as to why the new version might solve it. Especially when we're talking about v 3.0.566 vs v 3.0.650. Doesn't sound like major changes are involved. I'm sure plenty of people are still successfully using this version, aren't they?

If you can explain what it is about the old version that might be causing this problem, and how the newer version might fix it, I'll be happy to download the new version asap.

Thanks for your patience :)

4. pac73

pac73 Registered Member

Its always better to have the latest version,especially in security suites.
    Do as proactivelover says,and install 3.0.650,and report back to us after you,ve installed it and tried Windows updates.

5. brynn

brynn Registered Member

Ok, I will download it.

But can someone answer this? If it's so important to be using the newest version, how often are new versions released? Also, is there some way to request notification when new versions are released? Because my past experience with security software, is that new versions are usually released annually rather than....?

6. proactivelover

it's not brand new after v566 many version release v621.642 last 650 many gui bug's and firewall issue fix see Changelogs of ESS and EAV
    there must be some firewall issue in v566
    see Changelogs of ESS and EAV
    you question related to ESS Firewall in v621.642.650 eset fix many many firewall issue i think you problem will solved in v650

7. proactivelover

when eset receive some bug's or any firewall issue detect by there user's they release new version for fix them
    this fourm is a big notification when new version release eset moderator's post sticky about new version
    see agoretsky or Marcos(eset moderator) post about ESET Smart Security v3.0.650.0 released
    always keep your ESS uptodate for avoid problem's:thumb:

8. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

never had that version installed however WU has worked for me on Vista Ultimate x86 and x64 from version 642 onwards with no issues.....If the fw is in interactive mode and it blocks any traffic, you should be prompted to allow/deny... if that is not happening go into the fw settings and tell it to log all blocked traffic then do a WU and watch the fw logs....

WU also has specific error codes when blocked by a fw. are you getting any of those? no custom manual rules need to be created, ESS learns everyting in Interactive mode.

What I have had is a FW error a few times as the WU timer expires if I do not allow/save the traffic in ESS in time but that has always went aways for me upon second attempt of WU....

9. brynn

brynn Registered Member

Thank you for explaining the release of new versions, proactivelover.

Thank you shansmi!
    I appreciate you addressing the problem for me.

No, I haven't gotten any error codes at all, much less any pointing to a firewall. It just says "failed!" instead of "done!" during the download portion of the update routine. I'm not sure why the MS techs suspect the firewall, except that the firewall is always a convenient scapegoat, in my experience. It may turn out not to be the firewall, this is just where we are right now, with the troubleshooting. And I thought if there were some list somewhere, of rules needed by Windows Update, I could check my rules against it, in anticipation of the MS techs next advice (which undoubtedly will be -- disable my firewall and try the Windows Updates again!)

Thank you for the info on logging the blocked communications. That will be easy enough to try. And as a bonus, now I know how to check for inadvertently blocked communication through the firewall, in the future!

And if all else fails, it certainly can't hurt anything to get the more current version.

Thank you very much shansmi :)

10. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...spx?guid=c088a6ff-f933-4172-9286-f57f1f937d2b

Above URL will have Windows Update Chat in Left Column and I check that when having any Win Update issues.

Someone once suggested doing a Search on main drive (C:\ for me) for .... %SYSTEMROOT%\WindowsUpdate.log ......., Clking it, and viewing what went on when your Update attempt failed. That data may help others help you faster. Good luck![FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

11. Krond

Krond Registered Member

I had the problem to load the Windows Updates, too. I reinstalled my Windows and I have imported the settings from ESS from the old installation. Then WU was not working. The next step I resetted all firewallsettings and rules to standard (Button "Standard" in the extended settings). After that WU was working correct. Can you (eset) check this?

PS: Sorry for my bad english....
    PPS: I am using ESS 3.0.642 - latest version in german

12. CDreier

CDreier Registered Member

As you may have noted, I started a similiar thread having the same problem. The problem was with Sunbelt's Counter Spy. I shut it down in Services.msc and the installs worked with no problem.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  13. brynn

brynn Registered Member

Thank you COSMO. Yes, the MS techs have had me send them copies of that log during our troubleshooting steps.

Thank you Krond. Hhhmm, I don't see a "Standard" setting anywhere. And I don't see any setting which might be similar, accounting for translation issue.

Thank you CDreier. Yes, I saw your thread. I couldn't determine from your description, if your problem was occurring during the download or the installation. So I wasn't sure our problems are the same. In any case, I don't use CounterSpy. Although, I suppose I could have another antispyware program....I don't suppose the antispyware component of ESS could be the culprit?

Well, in any case, I'm going to go ahead and download the newest version of ESS next. I'm having trouble with the download though. After I enter my username and password, I get an IE Information Bar on the resulting page. It says
    Then I have the option to go ahead and show the content.

This didn't happen with my original installation, so I'm not sure what to do. Does this mean I've mistyped my username and/or password, or something else? I've tried 3 times already; you'd think I've gotten it right, so I'm inclined not to think the Info Bar is referring to the username and pw. The page with the Info Bar is filled with gibberish text, so no clues there! (And it's a HUGE page!)

Do I need to request a new username and password to get the new version? Or else, what do you suggest?

Thanks again for your help.

14. Krond

Krond Registered Member

See my screenshot. Here is the button "Standard", to find in extended settings / firewall.... Button is bottom right.

Attached Files:

• Eset.jpg
      Eset.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
  15. brynn

brynn Registered Member

Aaahhhh....
    Ok, the same button for me says "Default". So that would be a quick route to undo any rules I've made in the Interactive mode. However, following someone's advice above....shansmi, I enabled logging of blocked communication, and tried the Windows Updates. But that process revealed nothing is being blocked.

Another update to report -- as I expected, MS tech support has instructed me to temporarily disable the firewall and try the Windows Updates again. And as it turns out, the problem is NOT the firewall. Even with the firewall disabled, I still have the same problem not being able to download the Updates.

So I will await MS tech's reply, but to my understanding, we've eliminated the firewall as the cause of the problem.

Meanwhile, I do still want to get the newest ESS version, after this problem is solved. But as I mentioned, I'm getting an error message when I try to download:
    Any advice about that would truly be appreciated.

Thanks, Krond, for the screen shot. And a big THANKS again to everyone else who has replied. I so appreciate your help and support!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.