Windows Update history

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ambient_88, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Hello,

I noticed after restoring an archive that my Windows Update history is gone. Does that mean FD-ISR failed to copy the contents? Or maybe it corrupted the database? Can anyone confirm if this is normal behavior or not.

Thanks!

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would say it's not normal behavior. But exactly what do you mean?

Pete

3. ambient_88

It's exactly what I said. The Windows Update history suddenly disappeared, although the service still knows that I am up-to-date. The patches are still there, just the history that is gone.

My problem is similar to this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188915&highlight=Windows Update

I would've replied there, but the system says it too old.

Thanks!

4. ambient_88

So, has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

One guess: fd-isr does NOT copy .tmp files; are Windows Updates initially, at least in the beginning, kept in the .tmp files? I don't know, just guessing here.

Acadia

6. ambient_88

I believe the history is kept in the SoftwareDistribution/DataStore folder. The history gone is no big deal since Windows Update doesn't use that to determine whether I need an update or not. What worries me is that it might not be copying all of my files (except the .tmp and System Restore data), which wouldn't be so good.

7. mrduke

mrduke Registered Member

I am the poster from the first thread about this. I find that those SoftwareDistribution folders are a completely different size after making a new snapshot. FDISR for some reason must not copy these folders and Windows remakes them when they are missing, maybe. This is a a Vista OS. I was under the impression that FDISR made an exact copy of the original. Any explanations?

Duke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.