windows update for may '12 hangs system after bootup for 2 minutes

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rocket777, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocket777

rocket777 Registered Member

This is probably not a nod32 problem, but since nod32 recommended I run windows update, I'm posting here. If someone knows a better forum where I could post this, I'd be much obliged.

After yesterdays windows update for my xp sp3 system, I've determined that any of the several .net framework updates cause my system to be unresponsive until alg.exe - application layer gateway - runs. Until this runs, programs like firefox (which can be launched earlier) are unresponsive to any menu or button clicks. This behavior is not new, it's just that after these updates there's approximately an extra 2 minute interval on boot up that wasn't there before. There's no cpu activity and even the start button is unresponsive during this wait time.

Researching alg.exe, it seems to be something that 3rd party software might connect to related to internet or windows firewall. There are a couple of other system programs that run for an instant just as alg shows up. I'm monitoring it with procexp.exe from MS.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and/or if nod32 might somehow be involved (by talking to the firewall).

Individually un-installing the updates does not :ouch: restore prior behavior. Only rolling back to my nightly image backups restored my system. I don't want to do this too often as it could cause my SSD to die an early death. I had to do several rollbacks to find out which updates cause the problems.

I've also had to tell nod32 to not warn about updates and I've told windows update to hide these updates - both of which are problematic.

2. DrewD

DrewD Eset Staff Account

Please tell us if you experience this issue, if you temporarily uninstall your ESET product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.