Windows update error message: Files requireed...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Close_Hauled, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I get the following error message on a PC that I am working on after attempting to run Windows Update:

This computer is running Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP4 5., Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106.

Has anyone ever seen this before? How do you fix it? I already tried deleting cache, cookies, rebooting and Google. Nothing so far.

2. ravin

ravin Registered Member

sounds like the scripting support is corrupt. run sfc - if that doesn't work reinstall the xml parser...(ms search msxml3.msi) should fix. hope this fix's.

3. Close_Hauled

Re: Windows update error message: Files required...

Thanks, I will give that a spin. What parameters do you recommend for SFC?

I used Spybot S&D to remove all of the ActiveX controls in an attempt to force a reinstallation. No change. I was able to reisntall Macromedia and some of the others that I deleted, but not the Microsoft ones.

EDIT: You specified XML v3. Why not version four?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  4. ravin

ravin Registered Member

use /scannow parameter should do it - but you need to have cd. I recommended v3 on xml parser as they are dependent on service pack. the search at ms should have showed requirements for os and a link to it. also you could just download service pack four as it contains all the updates and fixes from earlier editons and just run that. just remember that If you download the msi file you need to right click the msi file and select install. hope this answered your questions.

5. Close_Hauled

Thanks,

I used /scannow out of instinct and everything was fine. I installed MSXML 3 SP 7, and now Windows Update works! :)

I am just curious as to how you knew that that was the answer. I Google'd my brains out trying to find the answer to no avail.

6. VIPER99

VIPER99 Registered Member

Hey close_hauled

Could you give me a breakdown of what you did to solve that problem because I am actually having the exact same problem myself on a person's laptop which is running XP Home.

Should I just do the sfc /scannow and go from there?
    Thats cool that the exact problem i'm having is occurring the exact time with someone else.

This is why I joined up with Wilders lol

Your assitance would be much appreciated

7. Close_Hauled

Sure,

There were two steps:

1) From the command line, run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW

2a) Download Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...91-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&displaylang=en

2b) Install the parser.

That is all I needed to do.

ADDED: I also want to note that earlier I mentioned removing the ActiveX entries listed in Spybot. I then re-installed most of the items that I deleted (Macromedia Shockwave for example). The Microsoft entries did not come back, even after the fix. Hmmm...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  8. ravin

ravin Registered Member

windows update requires activex and you had mentioned that you had removed parts or pieces. I had found this answer at microsoft doing search for windows update problem and required files. Glad it worked for you.

9. VIPER99

VIPER99 Registered Member

Thanks Close_Hauled,

Your steps worked perfect and it was a hundred times shorter than the response I got from Microsoft regarding the issue. Here is what I got from them. Personally I think that this is a LITTLE MUCH!!! I appoligize if its a little to long.

First, would you please let me know whether you have received some error code during the update process?
    At this time, I suggest let us first try the following steps to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Clean up Windows Update temporary folder

==========================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let’s erase all the files there to get the system clean.
    1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
    3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
    4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Step 2: Check the local Windows Update services
    ==============================
    This issue can occur if three services have not been configured correctly. Please refer to the following steps to check them:

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.
    2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".
    3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.
    4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.
    5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic". Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.
    6. Please repeat the above steps for the other two services:
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    Event log

Step 3: Reset Internet Explorer settings, and disable third-party Internet Explorer plug-ins
    =============================================================
    1. Click Start, Run, type: inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.
    2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window, click Delete Cookies, and click OK.
    3. In the same tab click Delete Flies, check the "Delete all offline contents" box and click OK.
    4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
    5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
    6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restarting).
    7. Click OK.

Step 4: Disable the software that can affect Windows Update
    =========================================
    The local Windows Update engine can be affected by some third party programs.

Please temporarily disable all antivirus components, Web Trap component of BlackIce, PC-cillin, Surfin Guard Pro, download accelerators/enhancements, Download Accelerator Plus, spyware applications and other similar programs.

After this, please go to the Windows Update website and check the results again.
    If the issue persists, please send the following information to me:

System Information

==============

a. Press Start, Run and type in msinfo32. Press OK.
    b. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.
    c. Find the file, right-click on this file, click ""Send To"", and click ""Compressed (zipped) Folder"".
    d. Send the file to v-30vivj@mssupport.microsoft.com, with the case ID in the subject line.

Windows Update log file

===============

Please also attach the latest Windows Update log (C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log) for my research. To locate the file, click ""Start"", ""Run"", type: %windir% and then press Enter. Since there are two log files with similar names, please ensure you send me the ""WindowsUpdate.log"" file in the open folder.

Screenshot

==============

1. When the error message appears again, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
    3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", and click Save.
    4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 if you receive any other message.
    5. Please send the files to this email account: v-30vivj@mssupport.microsoft.com.

Please also let me know if this is a home computer or a work computer. If it is a home computer, please also let me know if it connects to the Internet directly or through a network device. If it is a work computer, please let me know if the computer is in a domain.

10. Close_Hauled

Actually, you knew how to fix it before removed the ActiveX controls. I only removed the stuff because it seemed excessive, and I wanted to force a re-install. Now I am curious as to why the Windows Update controls did not come back.

I saw on other forums that people were having thisproblem. But none that I found fixed it. Only at Wilders!

I had no errors.

I did run Crap Cleaner and RegSeeker after fixing the system. I tested it again, and everthing worked.

11. ravin

ravin Registered Member

yes I knew as soon as I saw your post. had exact same problem with win2k machine some time ago and as I mentioned earlier through search at ms discovered that the scripting control is handled by the xml parsers as it sets it to interpret the wupd scanner. just glad I could help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.