Windows Update error Code 80070490

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chattycathy, May 9, 2015.

1. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

I am using Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 and Windows update is giving me the error code 80070490. I've run out of ideas on how to fix it without formatting. I have ran the System Update Readiness Tool, Microsoft fix it 50123, Windows Update Diagnostics, and I've tried to do a Windows Repair installation and all of this failed. I also restored a backup from April, but that didn't help either. Apparently, it was having problems then and I hadn't noticed it. With the repair installation, I clicked on "Install now", "download updates online", and then I clicked on the "Upgrade" installation choice as Microsoft recommended. But, I received the Installation failed error because it said my version that I'm using is more recent than the one I was trying to install. So, what now? I hate the thoughts of having to format and start over. I thought about restoring an image from the date that Windows Update last worked but I was afraid that whatever caused the problem would come back and I would be any better off. Any ideas out there? Is there another way to do a repair installation without losing everything? Thanks for your time!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Probably because you have SP1 installed.

You could try removing SP1 and try again.

3. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Try "MicrosoftFixit50202.msi". Google the name and you should get a link to the MS download page. It will fix most Windows update problems. You might have to use the "aggressive" option. That will completely remove and reinstall Windows update. I had to use it recently to fix a Windows 7 VM that I made from a real Windows 7 installation that somehow got Windows update messed up in the transition.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  4. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

I tried the "MicrosoftFixit50202.msi" and it couldn't fix it either even using the "aggressive" option. I also looked for the Service Pack 1 update so I could uninstall it and it wasn't listed or I didn't recognize it if it was and it went back to when I first purchased this system. I also did scans for viruses, malware, etc. but that didn't help either. I guess I will have to restore an old backup and then hope this problem doesn't happen again. Thanks everyone for your time and suggestions!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.