Windows Update error 80070422

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

That isn't no confirmation. You don't know exactly what changes the newer one has over the older. The fact that you cannot install the version you initially using, or better, doesn't support your claims.

Moving on... Would be nice if you could attach your :\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log file.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Here it is.

4. roger_m

5. Phant0m

6. Phant0m

Are you able to resolve via NSLOOKUP utility this addy download.windowsupdate.com ??

Exa: NSLOOKUP download.windowsupdate.com

7. Phant0m

8. roger_m

It was not showing the correct address due to default way the Netcomm router works. I changed the settings for the router and it is working now:

Original Result:
    After changing settings:

9. roger_m

I just read that, but in my case Windows Update has not problem with checking for and downloading updates. The problem is that Windows Update is not able to show any of the found updates, so that I can't select any updates myself - but if Windows is set to automatically download and install updates it does so.

10. Phant0m

What I know is what is being shown in your Windows Update Logs. The entire log returns problems resolving Windows Updates named server address .. hence problems. If you still with problems even after you re-booted Windows, then you was with multiple problems. If you want, I need to see the updated Windows Update log file again. ;)

11. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

12. Phant0m

Already suggested that with post #23. I don't think he done aggressive mode though. Now we step closer, perhaps running it again even with Normal Mode might give different results.

13. roger_m

I have fixed the problem.

I found this link:https://sites.google.com/site/chrislent/windowsupdatefailingwithcode80070422 and it said that both the Windows Update and Windows Modules Installer services need to be enabled.

In my case Windows Modules Installer was disabled. I enabled and started Windows Modules Installer which made Windows immediately reboot and install some updates. When Windows had finished booting again Windows Update was working, and right now it is half way through downloading 44 updates.

I have emailed Shane at tweaking.com to see if he can add the enabling of Windows Modules Installer to his Windows Repair software.

I may still have problems with updating Internet Explorer, and will post back here how that goes.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Edit: I didn't think it would be so simple to fix, and am quite surprised that the Inplace Upgrade I did, didn't fix it.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Awesome!

Maybe you can install IE11 through a direct download now.

15. Phant0m

Like I said already... Also your experiences was with multiple problems, without addressing your connectivity issue with download.windowsupdate.com, even with everything properly running you would have been with problems still.

16. roger_m

But, I think that was just do to do with how the router was configured. Windows Update was download and installing updates before I changed the settings for the router.

17. Phant0m

Your entire Windows Update log file shown problems with resolving download.windowsupdate.com. That server is important, and if clients cannot resolve the named address to IP, then no connecting.

18. roger_m

I've been installing updates with no problems, and have updated to Internet Explorer 11 from Windows Update.

After changing the config for the router and I can now check and install for Windows Updates with Windows Firewall enabled. For the past 16 months I've had it permanently disabled.

However I was installing updates before I changed the config on the router just a few hours ago on another laptop (with Windows Firewall disabled) and had no problems on that computer.

19. Phant0m

As I said.. I'm going by your Windows Update log file. The fact that you couldn't resolve properly named addresses, would cause connectivity issues hence the 0x8024402c errors throughout your WU log file.

This is my last post on the subject.

Your ignorant to how connectivity works. One example of this, your little undo in the Router config and testing proves nothing. Your computer already has the resolved information, AKA DNS Cache.

Glad things is back to normal now for you.

PS: You can have one computer use the Router DNS'n, you can have another computer behind this network use directly the ISP or other DNS servers and not suffer the same problem.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Glad you found the problem and ive bookmarked the link for the site you mentioned.That might come in handy sometime.I know you have faith in baidu to complete windows updates for you ,but id still be wary especially when it contradicts what windows update says.Also what if both start trying to update /install in background at same time?.It doesn't seem worth the risk imo.

Attached Files:

21. roger_m

Actually I usually only use Windows Update to download updates, not PC Faster, and at the moment I don't have it installed.

22. roger_m

I head back from Shane from tweaking.com and he is going to add the Windows Modules Installer service module to the repairs to his Windows Repair software.

23. itscolleen

itscolleen Registered Member

I had this error FOREVER and tried everything the troubleshooter, Microsoft, and these replies said to do and nothing worked.

Then I just started fiddling with that list of services and set the modules and one or two other things on that list to automatic and started and all of a sudden my computer had 37 updates to install -_-

Self help is all I can recommend.

24. VoxVeritas

VoxVeritas Registered Member

I have been battling this problem for a week and finally got to this thread today (and got to the end of the thread like 45 minutes later). That stupid windows module installer service was my problem. Honestly I think I'm the idiot who shut it off because it was interfering with something at some point. Anyway, I know I'm like seven months late to the conversation, but I had to make an account and pop in here just to say THANKS!!! I would still be banging my head against the wall if not for this bit of info. Much appreciated!

-SL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.