Windows Update comes up as a blank white page

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by te42, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. te42

te42 Registered Member

What can I do to correct this?

This is part of what comes up in the view source when i rt click the blank page. It is with ie 8

<NOFRAMES>You have tried to visit Windows Update with a browser that does not support Frames or ActiveX® technology. To learn more about browsers that do support these technologies, please visit the <A HREF="http://microsoft.com/windows/ie"><B>Microsoft</b></a> Web site.</NOFRAMES>
    <NOSCRIPT>

This is the whole view source.

HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="PICS-Label" CONTENT='(PICS-1.1 "http://www.rsac.org/ratingsv01.html" l comment "RSACi North America Server" by "inet@microsoft.com" r (n 0 s 0 v 0 l 0))'>
    <META name="description" content="The Microsoft Windows Update Consumer site provides critical updates, security fixes, software downloads, and Microsoft Windows Hardware Quality Lab (WHQL) device drivers for your Windows operating system and Internet Explorer browser.">
    <META name="keywords" content="windows update consumer site, update, updates, hotfix, QFE, patch, patches, fix, fixes, features, Microsoft, TechNet, download, downloads, service, services, software, service pack, service packs, windows 2000, win2k, windows 98, 95, ME, Millennium, Internet, Internet Explorer, support, network, administrator, technology, tech, Security, Security Bulletin, security vulnerability, critical, critical updates, security update, outlook, Outlook Express, Windows NT 4.0, windowsnt, windows nt , interoperability, vulnerability, technical, y2k, year2000, year 2000, resource guide, maintenance, planning, exchange, maintain, networking, migration, resource kit, support, help, dialup, migration, windows media player">
    <TITLE>Microsoft Windows Update</TITLE>
    <script Language="javascript">
    var curSite = 3;
    </script>
    <script Language="javascript" Src="redirect.js"></script>
    </HEAD>
    <NOFRAMES>You have tried to visit Windows Update with a browser that does not support Frames or ActiveX® technology. To learn more about browsers that do support these technologies, please visit the <A HREF="http://microsoft.com/windows/ie"><B>Microsoft</b></a> Web site.</NOFRAMES>
    <NOSCRIPT>
    <FONT FACE="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="3">
    <p>
    <FONT color=#000080 face="" size=5>Windows Update</FONT> is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.
    </p>
    <p>
    Windows Update uses ActiveX Controls and active scripting to display content correctly and to determine which updates apply to your computer.
    <br>
    <A href="http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/dialog_learnabout.asp?topic=0&amp;noscripting=true">Tell me about active scripting and ActiveX controls</a>
    </p>
    <p><b>To view and download updates for your computer, Windows Update should be listed as a Trusted Site in Internet Explorer.</b></p>
    <p><b>To add Windows Update to the trusted sites zone:</b>
    <ol>
    <li>On the <b>Tools</b> menu in Internet Explorer, click <b>Internet Options</b>.
    <li>Click the <b>Security</b> tab.
    <li>Click the Trusted Sites icon, and then click <b>Sites..</b>.
    <li>Uncheck the "require server verification" checkbox.
    <li>Make sure the following URLs are listed in the Web Sites list box:
    <ul>
    <li>http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    <li>http://*.windowsupdate.com
    </ul>
    </li>
    </ol>
    <b>Note:</b> If you need to add a URL to the Web Sites list and the <b>Add</b> button is disabled, contact your system administrator.
    </p>
    <CENTER>
    <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm" target=_top><FONT color= #00319C>&copy; 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use</FONT></A>.<BR>
    </CENTER>
    </FONT>
    </NOSCRIPT>
    </HTML>

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

also make sure you are not blocking scripting on WU using some firewall or other security software

4. te42

te42 Registered Member

Thank you both for the quick replies. I have been trying to find a fix for a few days. I have xp with service pack 3 and all updates to June 14th. The computer has worked well for years and only started this problem when i downloaded and tried to install avast while the av program i use, Norton 360, was only disabled, not uninstalled. There seemed to be a conflict as I could not connect to the internet once both av were on the computer. Since I still had 222 days left on my Norton 360 subscription, I removed avast. Since then, windows update, and the restore page come up blank.

In the link given above, that did sound like my problem. When he said

"Turns out a bunch of stuff was unregistered. Here's what worked for me:
    regsvr32 jscript
    regsvr32 vbscript
    regsvr32 /i mshtml"

I would like to try to see if it fixes mine,also, but I am not experienced, and do not know how to use that information. If you could explain what I should do with that info to apply it, I would much appreciate it. Thanks.

5. te42

te42 Registered Member

Also, how do i check if I am "blocking scripting on WU". I am using Norton 360 with it's firewall, and also "outpost free 2009" and ie 8. But i have been using them all along with no problem, until the two av were on the computer.

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

no need to use both Norton and Outpost. I would remove latter. Check if Norton is blocking WU. To issue commands GlobalForce referenced go Start/Run
    type cmd
    press enter
    type regsvr32 jscript press enter then the next etc.

7. te42

te42 Registered Member

It worked!!:)

8. te42

te42 Registered Member

When I put in the first two, after each one it said "succeeded". When I put in
    regsvr32 /i mshtml, it said: "mshtml was loaded, but the DLLRegister Server entry point was not found. mshtml does not appear to be .DLL or .ocx file."

But everything works now, both the update page and the system restore page. Thank you both very much.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.