Windows Startup Black-Screen

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by merankorii, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merankorii

merankorii Registered Member

Hello,
    I have just started to use Returnil and satisfied with it, but there is one thing I am concerned of:

Recently, I had to hard reset my PC because it froze (and at that time, Returnil VS was active), so I was expecting that it would be completely fine to hard reset my PC.
    However, before entering Windows (after the hard reset), the Windows Black-Screen appears which says something like 'Windows did not shut down properly' and shows some choices like 'Start Windows normally', 'Repair your computer', 'Safe Mode', etc.
    If RVS drop all changes made when it's active, how come can Windows know that it previously didn't shut down properly? Isn't a change is required in the real drive so that Windows can know that it didn't shut down properly?

Thanks in advance :D

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi merankorii and welcome to the forums :)

First, the reaction to a critical stop is independent of Windows boot. Meaning that the error message and the choices would be shown regardless. Options such as Windows repair or last known good are based on things that would be outside of RVS virtualization as the repair would be to restore a backup image or use the Windows installation/recovery disks to effect said repair; the last known good would use information created before RVS virtualization was activated.

What is of interest at the moment is whether there are any useful logs from this incident that can be investigated. With the virtualization active, it is likely that anything written to these logs was lost at restart. We should however check this to verify. To that end, please check for and send the following to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com:

1. Complete description of the incident and the text of any/all error messages, especially the BSOD text.

2. Check your C:\Windows\Minidump folder for a .DMP file that corresponds to the date and time of this incident. If one exists, please include it with the rest of the log files asked for here

3. The following logs:

* C:\Windows\rvs3.log
    * C:\Windows\rvs3-inst.log
    * MSINFO32 or MSINFO64 report**

**Click START > RUN > Type MSINFO32 or MSINFO64 as appropriate. On the System Information screen click FILE > Export and then save the file where you can find it to attach to your reply.

Thanks
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.