Windows Starting to get Tempermental with Folders/Files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Brandonn2010, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

For the past couple weeks I have had problems deleting files and folders after I am done with them, such as portable programs or installers. I am an administrator so I should be able to delete anything I want. I have never had this problem before until recently.

Today was one such incident; I had just uninstalled the program FRAPS, and went to delete its empty folder, and Windows said I needed permission from Administrators, even though I am an administrative account.

I plan to restore an image I made right after installing Windows soon, but I would like to have some idea of what's going on.

Also, it does eventually let me delete the files/folders a minute or so after trying, but there shouldn't be any delay or problem.

Attached Files:

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

This isn't a "Windows' issue" in most cases.

IMO, some programs modify some folders/files permissions (usually their own) to impede incautious users with admin accounts from damaging (deleting) things accidentally.

With admin accounts, you can always revert these changes and restore the control, but the changes need to be reverted before the control is restored (you need to restore the permissions by messing with them: right mouse click on the folder or file -> Properties -> Security).

Sometimes it's simply easier to reset all permissions by changing them at the drive level. Windows Repair can do that "automatically".

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is besause those folders/files are locked by the installer just used. Sometimes you need to wait a bit longer.

4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

You're not alone. I've encountered it before and the delay is annoying. The explanation given by Wild Hunter and Cudni are spot on but you might want to look at tools like Unlocker. It doesn't work all the time but can be useful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.