Windows Server 2008 R2

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rockshox, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

What versions of NOD32 is everyone using for Windows Server 2008 R2?

Due to our Windows Server 2008 machines locking up with NOD32 v4.x, we've been running NOD32 v3.0.695 instead which seems to run fine on Windows Server 2008. No lockups on our file servers since the change.

That was fine workaround until I attempted to install v3 on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows pops up a box saying it's not compatible. (see screenshot)

w2k8_eset.jpg

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET NOD32 Antivirus/ESET Smart Security v3.x on Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 has not been tested, since V4 is the supported release for those operating systems.

You may wish to try installing the hotfix available from Microsoft in A nonpaged pool memory leak occurs when you use a WFP callout driver in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 and then try installing ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4.0.447.0 on your server, or the beta test build of v4.2.22.0. Despite it being a beta version, it has proven to be quite stable and there are no serious issues reported against it.

That said, if you do wish to go ahead and try installing ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0.695.0 on Microsoft Windows 2008 R2, you can try the Run Program button in the Program Compatibility Assistant. I seem to recall that the problem Microsoft identified was actually with ESET Smart Security and not ESET NOD32 Antivirus but that they report both programs due to the EGUI.EXE file being present in both applications.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Thank you for the reply. I ended up installing NOD32 v4.0.474 and so far no issues. I've been watching the memory usage and it hasn't crept at all.

Our original 2008 servers (not running R2) were the ones that caused all the lockup issues with v4 and the reason we are using v3.0.695 on them. Unfortunately Microsoft didn't release a patch for a memory leak in WFP for 2008 non R2.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I am not sure if it is a related issue, but during my research I did come across this hotfix for Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 2008:

Microsoft Knowledbase Article #976529, "Stop error message after you install a WFP callout driver in Windows Vista SP2 or in Windows Server 2008 SP2: 'STOP: 0x0000000A'."

Another hotfix which might be of interest:

Microsoft Knowledbase Article #979612, "A hotfix is available that improves TCP loopback latency and UDP latency in Windows Server 2008 or in Windows Vista."

I am not sure what effect these hot fixes will have on your operating environment, so some testing should be done prior to deployment to verify compatibility.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.