Windows servcies??

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Tom772, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Hi,

Ive used This site mainly to figure out what services need to be disabled and what services i would probably need to keep running>

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

But i was wondering if there are any other good sites where i can get info or advice on what services should be running or disabled on a Windows based system?

Thanx for any info,

T

2. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

On this site there`s a spot for services that can be killed. I can`t remember exactly where but the site itself is worth looking at.

http://www.xptuneup.com/

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

4. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Tom,

You actually can remove quite a few reducing netstat -ano's listening port state in the process. It's important to check beyond remarks made in those guides service dependencies, Googling individual entries you're unsure of for further clarification. A demand/manual startup type would be preferred over outright disabling when adjusting this option, here also giving you a chance to monitor what you're computing habits require.

If you're on XP open a command prompt and type in sc (Service Controller), you'll be presented a list any of which results may be saved to file by following the command with >drive:\folderofchoice\filename.txt as in this example ....

sc qc wmiapsrv >c:\myfolder\myfile.txt
    In my setup (on sp1) I'm down to sixteen including VS and Themes.

Just be careful, some once altered can cause some real headaches (chalk this up to experience). If you cross-reference, heed the ones listed as "Leave This To Auto" or "If You Don't Want Your System To Work, Disable!"

Not for the meek, but here's an interesting play on the subject ....

xxxx://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/07/running-windows-with-no-services.html

GF

5. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

A computer at xptuneup.com has attempted an unsolicited connection to TCP port 1420 on your computer.
    TCP port 1420 is commonly used by the "Timbuktu Service 4 Port" service or program. This port is used by the popular remote control application, Timbuktu. If you are using this application and are having problems connecting, then you may wish to open this port. Please note that remote control applications present considerable risks. Please make certain you are using the latest patches for your software or you computer might be compromised.

Hey, i dont like the above site, it was blocked by my firewall, Tom!!!( is this site safe?)

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.